Hi there, I am new to this forum. Despite that i have been working with C++ for a few months now. It started as a plain openGL tutorial i did on a more than famous tutorial page called NeHe (i guess some of you will know it).
Anyway, the thing soon grew to become more than the basic triangle you paint on your screen. In fact it grew to become the first attempts of mine to make a complex strategy game with advanced gameplay mechanics.
At this point what i have a running win32 app with a window with the basic environment in want the player to play in.
A 3D-starmap in which every star is connected to every other via a string of "wormholes" or whatever you want to call them.
You can rotate everything, zoom in and out and much more and you can select planets, open their star system view and select them to see details (which in the current version are removed again so i can work on that section)
All in all i have the first maybe 20-30 % of a potentially great game but i have a big problem.
I have recently switched my study subject from cybernetics to software engineering. I want to exceed my own expectations in this and so i am forced to reduce the time i work on my project. This means that i either finish this in 4 years or i find myself some people willing to spend time and effort on this.
To show you that I am not just asking to start a completely new project this link should show you what i have already implemented:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-297 ... a.rar.html
Start by clicking on Story and then on Start.
You can control the camera with your mouse.
right drag allows you to turn left, right, up and down.
mousewheel will zoom in and out.
Please try to right and middle -click stars to see what happens.
Also try to drag from one star to another (left mousebutton) to see the pathfinding.
Also I want to add a short list of things i have and things i want to do:
The things i have:
- A very concrete idea on what the game should look like when it's done
- A basic Environment with the most important objects of interest.
- 3D-Camera Control.
- A system to let you select objects in 3D space
- A Menu-System.
- Some grafics to test what hopefullz looks a lot better later on =D
The things i need:
- Procedurally recreatable textures.
- A Bumbmapping Shader
- A makro system allowing the player to write advanced controlling AI
- Network communication (host client system)
- Gameplay Mechanics
I basically need the following specialists:
- A Network programmer with knowledge of server socket communication.
- A Sound programmer who can implement relatively simple audio.
- An advanced Game programmer who has already completed one or more projects to supervise the rest and see to it that the threads are coming together.
- An openGL programmer who has experience with shaders and bumpmapping to help me with what i am working on at the moment.
- A person who has worked on a pixel grafic application to help me design a system to craft procedural planetary surfaces.
- Someone with advanced compiler developement skills to design a working and simple enough system to let players implement small makros.
- A person who has experience with multithreading and gameplay mechanic implementation.
- A whole bunch of people to tell us what they find crappy =D
- More people to tell us what they find crappy
If you see yourself anywhere in this list and are willing to work on this, then please let me know. I can use any kind of constructive help and criticism.[/b]