Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:31 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:37 am 
Level 22 Norse Warrior-Librarian

Hello everyone :) I've begun work on a newish game project, and I thought I would see if anyone here would be interested in working on it :)

Just to start out, no, you wouldn't need to know Chinese in order to work on this game :)

I've attempted this project once with a group of friends, but unfortunately we all went our separate ways fairly quickly and barely made any progress on the game. Therefore, I'm starting from scratch again, as our original world concept was still heavily under development and I think we'll all have more fun if we get to design the world (and game) together :)

So, here's the idea:

I'd like to try to make a game that's designed to teach people a foreign language. Now, I know, most learning games are pretty boring, but I'd like this one to be an exception :) The idea is to have a game that's as totally immersive in the language as possible. I don't think there's really any way to avoid giving players vocabulary sheets, so players would be given a list with a few vocabulary words on it and then sent off to do some quests that only made use of those words. Once the quests were completed, they'd be handed a new vocabulary list and given a new set of quests. As time went on, their vocabulary would grow and they'd eventually be able to read the language somewhat. Part of the idea is that the game would need to be interesting enough that people would want to play it even if they weren't learning a second language, as this would provide additional incentive to keep learning the language. To that end, I think it would be nice to have an English version of the game so that people who weren't interested in learning the language would still be able to play it if they wanted to.

Personally, I'm interested in Chinese, so that's the language that I'd pick. I know enough Chinese that I can sort of get around, but I'm far from fluent, so it would help to, at least eventually, have someone else on the team that's more fluent in Chinese. However, if people are interested in another language, we could do that language instead. Alternatively, we could do several languages, although of course that would make things more difficult :)

I'm a programmer, so hopefully I should be able to handle most of our programming needs, although I'd be happy to have someone else along to help out if they'd like to. I'm looking at using RPG maker for the game, but I'm not sure on that yet. Technically speaking, we wouldn't even have to do an RPG if people decided that another format would work better, but I think an RPG would lend itself well to this sort of thing :)

So, here's who we need:
  • Game designers: We'll need people to design the world, the storyline, overarching themes for quests, etc. We'd be starting completely from scratch, so you'd have a blank slate to build something interesting on :)
  • Writers: I think this position should be fun, as you'll need to be able to come up with interesting dialog using only a very limited vocabulary, at least for the initial quests :) Given that we'll have other people doing translations, you would just need to know English, although if you know another language, too, that's awesome :)
  • Artists: We'll need pixel artists, for the tiles and characters and things, but probably also an artist or two for doing non-pixel-art faces and things like that. If we do end up using RPG maker, there are lots of tilesets that we might be able to use, although the licensing on a lot of them is kind of fuzzy, or doesn't allow for commercial use, which would limit our options. Having some concept artists would be cool, too :)
  • People who know a foreign language! It would be great to have one or two people who know a foreign language so that we have multiple people to check translations and bounce ideas for vocabulary lists off of :)
  • Programmers: As I mentioned, I'm a programmer, and if we go with RPG Maker, we might not need to do a ton of programming, which I'm hoping would speed things up, but if you'd like to be on the team, I'd be happy to have some other people to help me out :) In fact, if you want the programming all to yourself, I have a feeling I might have my hands full coordinating things, so that would be fine with me, too XD
  • Sound: Although probably not essential right off the bat, if you'd like to do sound for the project, that would be cool :)
  • Other people: If you'd like to be part of the project, we'd love to have you! Let us know if you'd like to help in any other capacity that's not listed above. It'd be nice to have feedback from people who want to learn a foreign language, both when designing the game and during development :)
I'd like the game to be commercial, as I think it will take quite a bit of effort to develop. I'm not sure how much of a market there is for something like this, but I think that there are lots of people who want to learn a foreign language, and a lot of them are gamers, so perhaps there will be a decent amount :) As for pay, it would be profit sharing, as noted in the title.

If you're interested, please reply, and feel free to send me a PM, as well, although I'd like to keep this thread the main route of communication for the moment :) I hope to hear from some people soon, as I'm really excited about this project, and I'm hoping other people will be, too :)

So far we have one or two musicians, a game designer, and someone who speaks Portuguese, but we could still use more people in every position :)

Given that this is a programming forum, I feel like I should mention more about the coding side of things, too, but I'm not really sure how that's going to look, yet. If we end up using RPG Maker, any scripting that we'd do would need to be in Ruby, but to be honest, we might not need a ton of programming, since the program is supposed to be able to do a lot of that for you. Still, we'll definitely need some, and if we end up not using RPG Maker, then we'd need to do lots of programming, so programmers are definitely welcome :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:53 am 

Well, we now have two people who are fluent in Brazilian Portuguese, one person who knows a bit of Chinese (that's me :)), a concept artist, a pixel artist, a programmer (also me XD), a game designer, and maybe a musician or two. If anyone else wants on board, we're still open to more people, even if you just want to pitch ideas and be part of the development in some way :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:50 pm 
Dexterous Droid

Only language I'm trying to learn at the moment is Python :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:17 pm 
Bytewise

I don't think I can be of any use if you are using Ruby with RPG maker as I just can't figure out that language X_x .

What would the art style look like? maybe I would be able to help with that? I'm not exactly a person that can draw so I would probably stick with pixelart and possibly vectoring and general graphics like logo designs, menus, and so...

I'm sure I could help with game design but not sure if you will ever need two game designers?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:31 am 

IGTHORN,
I've actually joked with a couple of different people about having the game teach coding "languages" instead of real ones XD

Hazarth,
Actually, one of our team members suggested using GameMaker, so I gave it a shot, and I'm liking it pretty well so far :) It uses a language that's sort of like C or JavaScript (or many others, I suppose XD), and it seems pretty easy to learn :)

We could also actually really use another game designer, if you're interested. One of our game designers had to leave, and our other one has a final project starting sometime around next month, so he may not be around much, either.

Do you have Skype? That's what we're all using at the moment to communicate, and it seems to be working fairly well. You can add me, if you like; I'm "wyrmage" (only one "m"), I believe :)

I'm not sure how much help we'll need on the art front, but we might need some :) I could ask our pixel artist if he wants to be the one doing menus and things, or if he'd like he;p with the pixel art.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:52 am 
Bytewise

I've looked at the GML scripting and you're right, it does look like C++ w/ Javascript :D

In that case I might be of some help with coding as well!

I'll contact you on skype then ^^

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:44 pm 

Awesome! We're having a group meeting at 21:00UTC today, so if you'd like to join us for that, you're welcome to :) If not, that's okay, though; we tend to chat throughout the week, as well as during our weekly meetings.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:57 pm 
Bytewise

I would love to, but I'm stuck to text chat as I'm sharing a room with 2 other people right now and 21:00 UTC is 23:00 in my local time ^^; which is kinda late.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:11 am 

I figured I'd post some screenshots of how the game is progressing so far :) We still don't have a storyline nor a setting, but I've been working on the "engine", as it were :)

At least for the moment, we're using GameMaker, which I like well enough. A lot of the work so far has gone into drawing strings of text that have multiples languages in them, since we're using one font for Chinese and another for English.

In the picture below, your main character is talking to someone else.

The sprites in the screenshot are from the previous team.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:49 am 

We've started a blog! You can find it at http://lingwen.wyrmmage.com, if you're so inclined :)

I think I'll probably repost some of the things from the blog here, though :)

Here are some screenshots of how things are progressing in the game :)
When you first run the game

Choosing the language that you want to learn (or English)

You can choose one of five languages that you want to learn. Currently only Chinese has translations, but hopefully we’ll have more soon :) English is present mostly so that people who don’t know one of the other five languages can still follow along, and also so that we can use it for testing.

Your starting room

You begin in your dorm. At the moment, we’re using some free tiles from off the internet. These tiles are from here, to give credit where it’s due. The character’s icon was made by Amy, a member of our former team.

Here you’re saying hello to, well, a clone of yourself. You can pretend it’s a friend that you just met, though :)

Thanks goes to Hazarth, who has been working on the project with me :) We're part of a little team of people, and he and I are the two programmers.