Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:19 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:38 am 
Ankle Nibbler

Hi Everyone,

I released Chaotic Rage 1.7 last weekend and as usual saw a spike of web traffic, although this release it was higher than normal. It appears a Russian blog of some description posted an article about my game release. I've never had anything like that before. Anyway, I did a Google Translate on a bunch of the comments and it was...depressing. It was good to see people actually playing my game, but there seemed to be quite a bit of disappointment - mostly complaints about the graphics. I will freely admit I'm a terrible artist so I'm looking for some ideas to improve the game.

I have a few ideas and was wanting comments.

• Switch to first-person mode
  • Ensure old screenshots are removed from the website and take a bunch of new ones
  • Lots of additional special effects
  • Post-processing effects and deferred lighting/shading
  • Purchase or find new models for everything
  • Instead of large external spaces create tight enclosed interior spaces
  • Bump mapping and lighting improvements
  • Hire or find an artist

The biggest thing I've struggled with is the theme for the game. I'm not sure about the current zombies theme. The idea was that anyone could take the game and create mods and content for it so I was hoping that there would be a community and lots of different mods and themes, but that doesn't seem to of taken off. I've got all of these different game types and levels, but they don't really mesh well together.

Thus, on the topic of theme, I feel like I could:

• Keep the current theme and expand and focus on it.
  • Kill the theme completely (remove zombies from website, etc) and make the game really generic.
  • Stop calling it a game and simply call it game engine instead.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:02 pm 
Bibliotherapist

There's no such thing as bad publicity. If people are writing about your stuff, you're doing well. :thumbs

Anyway, back to your bullet points.

1st person/3rd person. I personally like 3rd person, but it does mean that you have to have a decent player model. Oblivion looked beautiful, but switch to 3rd person view and you're looking at a gingerbread man in a tinfoil suit who walks like a Thunderbird puppet. 1st person means that you have one less asset to worry about. It'd be nice to have the option to switch though, just in case you get some awesome art folks on board.

Visuals/GFX. It's all about the first impression. The guy who posted the Doom Warrior stuff a few weeks back got a WOW from me because the screen shots look great. The game might play like a dead dog, but people will take a look because they're dragged in by the visuals.

You do need a solid mechanic to keep people playing, but if the visuals don't grab people, they probably won't stick around to find out.

Zombie Theme. It seems to me that everyone is doing zombie games these days. Almost every Games With Gold title I've grabbed has been zombie related. I'm probably not representative of the average gamer, but I'm bored of zombie games. Having something else as theme might be enough to capture people's attention.

That's enough braindump for now. Just my 2c, hope that helps.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:58 pm 
Bearer of the Golden Keyboard

I could make you some assets but mostly inanimate objects. I never really excelled in biological stuff when it comes to 3D... (using 3Ds max). obviously for free in my spare time and I don't really need credits (tho they would be nice ^_^) cause I'm mostly doing this for experience. I work in a 3D visualisation company atm so I have some skill set around all kinds of house-hold objects :D not really low poly but I'm happy to accept such a challenge :geek .

because honestly, the graphics are really poor xD tho I never really cared about graphics in the first place. What I noticed in the last release (not the current one) was really poor performance on my laptop and some weird collision going on from time to time... Also I think the aiming was kind of awkward and there wasn't enough feedback for the player (the shots and kills feel more like throwing a ping pong ball into a wall.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:26 pm 
Ankle Nibbler

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I'm going to make some changes, which I've post here once I've settled on them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:46 am 
Ankle Nibbler

So I've just done some playing about with L3DT and created a new version of one of my maps.

It was actually fairly quick to create the heightmap and texture image, and doesn't even look too bad. I already had skybox support in my engine, so I added a skybox in there too.

I'm going to update the code to support texure splatting and also add in bump mapping on the splatted textures.

It shows how much difference you can make without even changing the code!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:10 pm 
Bibliotherapist

Wow, that makes a huge difference. Lightening everything up certainly helps. I think some shadows, even a simple dark blob under the figures would really connect them to the landscape and improve even more.

I meant to look at texture splats for AMBER, be sure to post back and let us know how that goes. I'd be interested to see the techniques and options.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:08 am 

I agree with codehead, add some simple shadows and it should look 60% more awesome! ^^

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:39 am 
Ankle Nibbler

I do actually have shadows which I added recently, but they aren't working properly for some reason. I'll need to do more research into shadow maps :lol

Also Hazarth, I will accept your offer for inanimate objects, once I've fully settled my new theme - I think I'm going to ditch zombies because it's overdone, but I'll move all of the zombie stuff into it's own mod so people can still play it if they want to.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:09 am 

TheJosh wrote:
I do actually have shadows which I added recently, but they aren't working properly for some reason. I'll need to do more research into shadow maps

aww :D I hope you can fix it soon :)

TheJosh wrote:
Also Hazarth, I will accept your offer for inanimate objects, once I've fully settled my new theme - I think I'm going to ditch zombies because it's overdone, but I'll move all of the zombie stuff into it's own mod so people can still play it if they want to.

Sure :) let me know through a PM if you need anything

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:22 am 
Ankle Nibbler

Hey everyone, thanks for your help!

I've made more updates like fixed the shadowing and added depth-fog.

More screenshots:
http://www.chaoticrage.com/pics_n_vids

Models are all still the same, but I think you'd agree it looks heaps better.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:05 pm 
Bibliotherapist

That's looking great Josh. :rock

I think you need to fade/washout your skybox images a little though, then they'll blend into the fog.