Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:11 am 
Rookie

Hey Guys,
I just found this forum and I thought I might give it a shot to get some feedback on the game I am developing for a few weeks now.

It´s supposed to be a rather traditional RPG with turnbased combat. The combatsystem is kind of similar to the one of Legaia if anyone ever played it. You have a maximum number of possible attacks (indicated throug harrows). You chose a chein of different directions and launch the attack. If a part (or the whole) chain matches a pattern a special attack is executed which costs or gains that character AP(Ability Points). You can combine the attacks to save some of the limited number of attacks you can perform. Every few levels the maximum number of attacks will increase, so you are constantly trying out new combinations to unlock even stronger attacks or you will be trying to figure out ways to maximize the damage while keeping your much needed AP up.

The characters and story are ment for a rather entertaining and fun time.

*Plot spoiler*

There is this kid called Daniel who skips school to try out this supercool new game on his handheld console that just came out in betaphase. The game is buggy as sh*t and the maincharacter of it -who doesn´t even have a name- becomes self aware of him being inside a game and freaking out over it.
His comrades on his epic quest to find the meaning of his existance are not. Stereotypically acting knights, rogues and paladins who want to destroy all evil in the world, make money regardless of the consequences or just seek knowledge of the greater being they believe in. All those freaky guys matched together will go on venture through the lands.

I guess I just drop some links to the devblog here. It makes for a better overview and is much less of a hassle for me :P

Devblog

And in case you realy like it, so you can follow the progres:

Legend of NoName on Twitter
Legend of Noname on Facebook

Thank you for taking your time reading this and maybe even watching some of my stuff. Any feedback will be appreciated.
P.S.:I am not a native english speaker, so please don´t play grammar nazi with my post :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:30 pm 
Dexterous Droid

The combat system sounds like it could be fun. I quite like building up special attacks from components. The one thing to watch out for is having too many combos. Each attack should serve a specific purpose, without having redundant abilities. Sudeki is an RPG that had a type of combo attack system, you had 3 slots and had to time your left and right mouse button clicks to get a combo. The problem there was that some of the combos were just stronger and more useful than others, so you end up learning the 3 best ones that can get you through all situations and never bother with the rest. Street Fighter 4 is the only SF I've played but their combos tend to fill more specific roles while avoiding redundancy.

The story is quite goofy, if you keep it light-hearted then I think it will come across quite well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:44 pm 
Rookie

I am planing to add attack types like cut, smash, burn, freeze (or stuff like that) and resistances to it, so you just can´t find that 1 cobo that is working and keeping up your AP. With every new enemy you have to find out what he is weak against and change your attacks considering them.

I remember playing alot of games which gave a quite a laugh while playing and I want to achive that by exxagerating the typical RPG cliches. Not the super serious, sometimes almost depressing stuff you see in a lto of serious games today. I personally like seeing some weird guys in games. The one you know when you talk to them will say somthing so off the board that you have to read his lines a second time because you were busy giggeling when you read it the first time.

Thank you for your feedback. Like most feedback I get is positive. That realy helps me going, because, well, I guess we all have the fear of producing something literally noone would like but your very self. Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:27 am 
Bytewise

Very nice, i like the new tiles! the combat system looks like a lot of fun too :) I see you even have a nicely managed ToDo list which is great. Keep us updated in case you release a demo or something :) and keep up the good work ^^

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:54 pm 
Rookie

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I feel like todo lists realy help me keeping track on what to do next instead of getting overwhelmed and then unmotivated by the big designdocs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:11 pm 
Rookie

Getting back here since I finally got something playable. Took me a while since school and work are somewhat time-demanding.

https://www.mediafire.com/?d01qf1aco5yav1c

In the end it´s just 2~5 minutes of gameplay which show the core mechanic, but it should do. I´m looking forwart to get some feedback, since I try to evaluate if it is reasonable to go on with this.
Thank you