Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:57 am 
Prime Example

Hi there,

just wanted to let you know, that i decided to publish my former commercial HTML5 JavaScript game programming framework under the MIT open source license, which means, you can use it for open source and for commercial projects without limitation.

Have Fun:

http://gamvas.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:40 pm 
Bibliotherapist

Very cool stuff. 8)

I was digging around some web based demos on reddit last night. Browser based graphics have come a long way in the last year or two.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:50 pm 
Prime Example

... and we're up to 0.8.3

Several major bugs fixed + one physics world per state instead of per game and a function to remove actors from current state

Up to 0.8.2 gamvas was never used in a real game project, this has changed and it turned out that a couple of major showstopping bugs where in the system. This is the first time i would consider this project useful for real game development. So if you have checked it out earlier and ran into showstopping bugs, like reverse sort order, please give it another try. For long time users, old and br0ken behavior can be activated through a number of gamvas.config.* variables.

Download:

http://code.google.com/p/gamvas/downloads/detail?name=Gamvas-0.8.3.zip

Detailed changelog:

http://forum.gamvas.com/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=31

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:48 pm 
Prolific Poster

Just curious how stable your framework is under multiple platforms? Is it possible to develop an app that runs consistently from platform to platform?

I've been working on a little bit of a html5 framework my self. My focus is being able to create an app that scales and adapts based on web browser and device, I'm just wondering how you compensate for mobile devices and the such.

Also, do you have a list of supported devices?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:51 am 
Prime Example

ryanspice wrote:
Just curious how stable your framework is under multiple platforms? Is it possible to develop an app that runs consistently from platform to platform?

I've been working on a little bit of a html5 framework my self. My focus is being able to create an app that scales and adapts based on web browser and device, I'm just wondering how you compensate for mobile devices and the such.

Also, do you have a list of supported devices?

There is no such thing as automatic scaling in gamvas. It is time based, so your game runs independent of the FPS the device is capable. It tries to run at 60 fps (actually the browser tries to) but when it falls below, the game itself will run at the same speed, but FPS will drop. What you could do is once fps dop below a certain value for lets say 1 or 2 seconds, you could yourself disable perfomance critical things like particle effects or unnecessary scrolling layers.

Another problem with cross platform would be the screen resolution. Gamvas is canvas based and therefor pixel oriented, i guess the best way to handle different device resolutions would be to set the canvas with a certain pixel size, e.g. 640x480, and then use stylesheets or better javascript (for maintaining the aspect ratio) to scale the canvas to whatever the device is capable of.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:41 am 
Prime Example

Finally, 0.8.5 out with multi touch, A* path finding and many other improvements and bugfixes, enjoy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:33 pm 
Bibliotherapist

Nice. :thumbs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:18 pm 
BANNED

Quote:
Another problem with cross platform would be the screen resolution.

The solution I proposed to Ryan is to scale most individual screen elements -- any sprites without a specific relation to other screen elements -- while preserving their original aspect ratio, though the positioning of these sprites over the canvas area will distributively respect the native aspect ratio up to a certain maximum resolution (at which all of the assets are created for) until the app just becomes visibly nested at the center of the browser window. For more complex forms of screen elements, use compositing to proportionally render all space filling content. For everything else, just apply arbitrary scaling for anything which can scale trivially. This behavior becomes easy to achieve if you elaborate proportion into all of your drawing/layout abstractions.

Also..
Quote:
do you have a list of supported devices?

I wanna hear your answer >:D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:32 pm 
Harmlessness does no harm

Easier just to do it via CSS (with a little JS thrown in). Would also perform better, I would think (since everything is being drawn "normally", just that the display canvas is scaled to the container).

The math to maintain aspect ratio isn't that difficult, either. I've seen a couple instances where it was demonstrated in tutorial snippets as well.