Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:27 am 
Ankle Nibbler

Hey everyone,

A few months ago I announced my game here, Chaotic Rage. I just wanted to let everyone know that I recently released Beta 9, with network support.

You can download it here:
http://www.chaoticrage.com

The source is here, if you want to take a look:
https://github.com/TheJosh/chaotic-rage

Have a Merry Christmas and a happy new year!
TheJosh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:30 pm 
Grand Optimizer

awesome, nice work!

http://tankzgame.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:43 pm 
BANNED

Why are the texture resolutions lower than limbo? (just looking at the screen shots)

I guess it kinda looks like you're trying to do some sort of detail-textures effect. Uh... I don't think you should do it the way how you are now. You really just need better texture mapping.

Also, the game world is completely planar. There's a lot of ways you could make it a little more interesting. Try adding a few crates. You also need walls. You badly need walls. They're easy to implement, though you may also want a small degree of obstacle avoidance. PM me if you want ideas for how to implement any of these things. :)

Good job.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:14 am 
Ankle Nibbler

Yeah those screenshots on the site were pretty old. I've updated them. As you can see, there are objects scattered about, and also heightmaps. The water is implemented as it's own surface which cuts through the main heightmap, so when you walk in the river your feet are partially underwater.

Also, there is two rendering backends (actually four, but the other two are debug ones) - a full version, and a cut-down version. My development is about half/half with a crappy laptop at home and my work computer during lunch. I'm on holidays, so can only give screenshots from the cut-down renderer. The only difference is different texture filtering modes, less blending (e.g. water is solid instead of translucent), and a few other bits.

As for the quality of the textures and objects, they are quite crappy because I'm a coder, not an artist. If anyone is interested in doing some art work on this game, that would be fantastic!

I have some work in place for indoor levels, but thus far all of my levels are outdoor, but I do want to have some indoor ones too. My original design (and early concepts) had destructible environments, but when I ripped out my crappy physics and dropped in Bullet, they got lost in the process. I'll probably get them back at some point.

It's all still a work in progress, but if anyone is interested in any aspect of development of this game, I would me more than welcome to accept your help. You can PM me here on the forum, or just fork the GitHub repo and start hacking!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:48 am 
BANNED

Quote:
As for the quality of the textures and objects, they are quite crappy because I'm a coder, not an artist.

Ah, you did quite well then. The latest screenshots show considerable improvement. If you're wondering why I'm being a crappy rag and I haven't even tried the beta yet, it's due to my away-from-decent-computer status, being gone on holiday... I'll try to remember to give it a go as soon as I can (yep, hardware that doesn't support OpenGL 2.0 is no fun).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:22 pm 
Ankle Nibbler

Well you can give it a try with the low-quality renderer.

The OpenGL 2.0 thing is really just an analogue for "not too old video card". Since that was written, I added in the low-quality renderer, so I should probably update it on the website!

Unfotunatly, I just checked the code, and the low-q renderer is still doing the opengl 2.0 check :( otherwise that would work. But you never know, your card may be 2.0 or later anyway (even some integrated ones, like the one on my laptop are).

If you want to give it a shot, take a look at this doc for changing settings:
https://github.com/TheJosh/chaotic-rage ... onfig-file