Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Graphics API's
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:28 am 
Rookie

What are some good 2d/3d graphics API for JAVA the same way SDL is to C++.
Note: SDL is way easier than Directx/opengl. Requires less lines of code to do a similar task.

Basically i am making a game.

Post subject: Re: Graphics API's
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:02 am 
Level 22 Norse Warrior-Librarian

Hi someuser000,

I think you should probably decide if you want to make a 2D or 3D game before you look for a good graphics engine as there are a lot of graphic engines that are good at 2D or 3D, but not the other (at least for other languages; I'm not sure about Java) :) If you're just starting out, I would highly recommend sticking to 2D until you have some experience :)

As far as I know, Java isn't exactly the most beloved programming language for doing games, but some googling reveals that there is LibGDB and playn for doing 2D games in Java, so you could give those a try :) I can't recall of hearing of either before, though, so I don't know if they'll work well. Personally, if you're just starting out with programming, I'd recommend something like GameMaker, but you probably already know that from your other thread ;)

Still, please don't be put off by my somewhat salty view of Java game development, and feel free to post any questions that you have :) Even if we don't know the engine that you're using, we still may be able to help.