Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:36 pm 
Level 1 Cleric

Hello everyone! My name is Ainis, I am 15 years old. I want to announce that I am starting a new project called "Learning Programming In 2 Years". I got inspired by LethalFrag who just completed his 2 Year Livestream. Main goal of this is to show people how hard and how easy it is to learn programming. To understand what problems you can encourage while you are learning and it should be really fun and interesting to follow my progress and help me to move forward. I am going to be programming with C#, later going to jump to XNA, and lastly going to start with MonoGame, because it is cross-platform, and I know that linux community wants new developers and indie games! Now I am going to tell you all my backstory how I got into programming.

When I was young I wasn't even thinking about programming, I was just playing games and going outside with friends, that was my childhood, I bet a lot of people had same childhood like me, but anyway, I had a good pc at that moment, when suddenly it broke. I was 11~12 at that moment. After one year without computer I finally got a computer, but it was so slow that you guys might not believe. Here are specifications: Intel 700 Mhz, 128 MB Video Card, 384 MB RAM, 80 GB HDD. At that moment I wasn't playing any games, just using it for work, like Word, Powerpoint, Facebook. One day I thought how games are made, and I went to my pc and started researching, after 1~3 days of researching I understood that firstly I have to do very basic steps, only then go deep into game programming, but I didn't do that. I was jumping through programming languages and without motivation leaving them, sometimes I thought that programming was not for me... Then I was like 14 years old. After month I told myself that I can do this and I can make games! I was programming for like one month or two, until I realised I need to grow up a little bit and maybe I will understand everything better, because I wanted to understand everything I write. I hated tutorials that says you just need to do like this, after that I left programming once again. Few weeks later I got a new powerful laptop, sadly it was HP DV6000 (If you don't know what is wrong with I am going to explain here. There is a bug in all HP DV6000, architects of it made a big mistake that causes your GPU to overheat). When I got this pc I was playing all the time. At the very end of my HP death I started messing around with unity but that was unfortunate, because my laptop died... I came back to my old one, then I started programming with C++/C#. At that time I understood everything I was watching, for example: Pointers, OOP, Virtual functions, Polymorphisms, Inheritance, but I got lazy and left programming again... Few months later I got laptop that I am using at this moment, before this laptop I bought low end tablet, where I started using terminal (There is a really awesome program that lets you use full terminal like Linux), started programming with tablet.

I will tell you all one more thing about this project. What laptops, tablet I am using. Well I have three machines, two laptops and one tablet. There is main laptop, old laptop, and for fun tablet biggrin.png. I use main laptop to develop everything. My Old laptop is like a book, or for nightly developments(I can't use my main laptop because he doesn't have battery + his AC adapter is working bad) and I use my tablet for email, twitch, youtube, music, and for some programming as well, recently a new app was released called C# Compiler REPL or something like that. It is really nice, it has lots of functions and stuff!

Well that is it. Here is a backstory of my road into programming, it was a hard road, and tough. Now I understand myself better, and I know problems of mine. Anyways, if you read everything I am really thankful that you read everything, sorry if it was too long for you to read and sorry that my English isn't that great, my English is not a native language and I am still a 15 years old boy. So support me on twitter/youtube/blogger and follow my progress! I would love if some of you guys could give me some advices or advertise my project, because I am starting from barebones, from scratch, that would inspire me a lot! smile.png

Links:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheScriptan

Blog: http://thescriptan.blogspot.com/

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheScriptan

Progress Links:
First Day Blog Post: http://thescriptan.blogspot.com/2014/01 ... ng-in.html
Second Day Blog Post: http://thescriptan.blogspot.com/2014/01 ... day-2.html

Last edited by TheScriptan on Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:49 pm 
Bytewise

hello and welcome! I wish you luck on your quest, tho I'm not clear on how is a timelapse helping anyone doing anything. But i may be just missing the point of this all. Seems like fun tho ^^

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:18 am 
BANNED

meh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:36 am 
BANNED

Content removed by Codehead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:59 am 
Digerati

hi scriptan.
Good luck on your endeavour.

I'm wondering though. Why would you bother learning XNA when you're already planning to go for Monogame eventually?
XNA support is discontinued as far as i know, and in terms of cross platform monogame is the far better choice.

Pieman wrote:
meh

Tactful as ever :confused

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:49 am 
Level 1 Cleric

Hazarth wrote:
hello and welcome! I wish you luck on your quest, tho I'm not clear on how is a timelapse helping anyone doing anything. But i may be just missing the point of this all. Seems like fun tho ^^
Hi, timelapse for me is just for fun, I am going to make timelapse of every session I make. Whenever I am developing something I am going to make a timelapse and post to youtube, maybe I can attract some youtube audience as well. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:51 am 
Level 1 Cleric

weezl wrote:
hi scriptan.
Good luck on your endeavour.

I'm wondering though. Why would you bother learning XNA when you're already planning to go for Monogame eventually?
XNA support is discontinued as far as i know, and in terms of cross platform monogame is the far better choice.

Pieman wrote:
meh

Tactful as ever :confused

Hey maybe you could give me a tip? I know that XNA is discounted, Dem Microsoft... , but maybe if I learn xna it would be easier to transfer to monogames, or monogames = xna? I think there are some differences, but anyways thanks for respond. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:37 am 
Bibliotherapist

Hi Scriptian, welcome to GPWiki.

Sorry about the negative reception from Pieman, he likes to sail close to the wind. However, he has used up his last chance and has now been banned from the forums.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:00 am 
Bytewise

aww, poor pieman, he had it commin' how long is he banned for?

Scriptian, are You also doing livestreams?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:51 am 
Level 1 Cleric

Codehead wrote:
Hi Scriptian, welcome to GPWiki.

Sorry about the negative reception from Pieman, he likes to sail close to the wind. However, he has used up his last chance and has now been banned from the forums.

Lol, he got banned because of me, of course I see why he got banned, because he was trying to demote or insist newbies. Thanks. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:52 am 
Level 1 Cleric

Hazarth wrote:

It's very sad, but I can't, I can do it with 16~20 fps from 30, so I don't know if it's worth it, unless in Ubuntu fps would be higher, but I greatly doubt it. :) Later on I might do livestreams, thanks for idea. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:33 pm 
Level 1 Cleric

First timelapse of this awesome project, follow me on twitter to find out when other are coming!

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrIObLClEM8
:)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:38 pm 
Digerati

TheScriptan wrote:
Hey maybe you could give me a tip? I know that XNA is discounted, Dem Microsoft... , but maybe if I learn xna it would be easier to transfer to monogames, or monogames = xna? I think there are some differences, but anyways thanks for respond. :)

I don't think it makes much of a difference. What both frameworks do is wrapping the graphics API and providing user friendly classes and methods to access graphics features (and other game related functionality like input and audio for example).

If you are more interested in learning how graphics programming actually functions i would suggest starting with OpenGL or DirectX directly.

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:42 pm 
Level 1 Cleric

weezl wrote:
TheScriptan wrote:

I don't think it makes much of a difference. What both frameworks do is wrapping the graphics API and providing user friendly classes and methods to access graphics features (and other game related functionality like input and audio for example).

If you are more interested in learning how graphics programming actually functions i would suggest starting with OpenGL or DirectX directly.

My main purpose from XNA and MonoGame is that they are quite easy to learn and MonoGame is cross-platform! Firstly I will start learning XNA, because I want my hands to get warm with it and then I am going to jump into MonoGame, but first I need to complete a long road of C# Basics and advanced stuff, you can follow my progress in twitter. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:24 pm 
Bibliotherapist

Isn't Mono dead/dying? I haven't used it myself, but it was mentioned in a Coder Radio podcast the other day and the outlook didn't look good.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:18 pm 
Level 1 Cleric

Codehead wrote:
Isn't Mono dead/dying? I haven't used it myself, but it was mentioned in a Coder Radio podcast the other day and the outlook didn't look good.

After lots of MonoGame experience I might switch to Love2D or something. I chose these engines cause they are cross-platform :). Anyways good news! Now I have my livestream, if you want to catch up with me, go to this link: http://www.twitch.tv/thescriptan I didn't even thought that my pc can handle streaming! :) You all could give me tips and so. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:44 pm 
Level 1 Cleric

Hazarth wrote:

Hey, I started making a livestream, jump right in! :)
Link: http://www.twitch.tv/thescriptan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:22 pm 
Grand Optimizer

Hi TheScriptan,

If you want easy and cross-platform, why not use Python and pygame?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:47 pm 
Level 1 Cleric

Alberth wrote:
Hi TheScriptan,

If you want easy and cross-platform, why not use Python and pygame?

Python syntax for me is just god awful... I would better use Fortran than that. But for reals I would better use Lua. :) Because of love2d. Anyways jump right into my stream, you can chat with me and give me some tips if you want. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:30 pm 
Digerati

Codehead wrote:

I dont think so. They still have parity to the latest .net release iirc. Also i believe a lot of former XNA indies went to use monogame, so i don't see why it would be going out of business.

wzl's burrow