Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:57 am 
Rookie

Star Trek Supremacy combat engine and using the XNA game class.

I am reading XNA 4 3D Game Development by Example Beginner’s Guide, being a beginner, and hope to us some of the basics of a 3D game found there as a starting point for a 3D combat engine in the fan game Star Trek Supremacy. Star Trek Supremacy can be found here:https://bitbucket.org/mstrobel/supremacy/downloads (SupremacyTest_20130707.zip) I am told though that the 3D combat engine, in order to work with Supremacy, should not use XNA game class. The books game example does have:

Public class TankebattleGame : Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game

Is there a workaround without game class?

(Star Trek: Supremacy is the working title of Mike Strobel's project to create a sequel to the Microprose game Star Trek: Birth of the Federation. Despite its use of the Star Trek name, Star Trek: Supremacy is an unofficial project and is not affiliated with or endorsed by Paramount or any of its subsidiaries. Star Trek: Supremacy is a free, fan-based creation, and will not be sold for profit under any circumstances. Yes, CBS Paramount knows about the game and does not care because it does not monetarily profit anyone. This is a 4X game in 2d on a galactic map but, like the original game, we hope to add 3D combat for ship to ship and station encounters.)

Our old forum, (ask me and I will give you permission to post)
http://www.botf2.star-trek-games.com/

Last edited by Kenneth.Of.Borg on Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:46 pm 
Fish Doggy

Well, i see 2 ways to go:

1. Reverse engineer the game class and make your own implementation so that XNA's other implementations still work

2. Dont use XNA.

I'm not sure who told you to not use the Game-class and for what reason. But if you're using XNA, you might aswell utilize all of it. Or you move your project towards another wrapper like slimdx or use managed direct3d directly.

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:20 pm 
Rookie

Thanks Funky Monkey for getting back to me.

Supremacy is coded using XNA and the guy that programed it told me I should use XNA while avoiding game class in the combat engine. Supremacy code is available there at bitbucket. https://bitbucket.org/mstrobel/supremacy

So I will need to build my own alternative to game class with methods constructed from those in game class that are also found in my combat engine.

Are there better places to ask questions about XNA game?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:17 pm 
King Code Monkey

What exactly do you mean by "avoiding game class in the combat engine". If it's an XNA game you have to use it. I admit I haven't bothered to look at the bitbucket link.

Microsoft XNA MVP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:22 pm 
Gold Star Poster!

I'm only guessing (and I've never used XNA at all ever), that he is saying to avoid calling methods on the Game class from within the combat code...?

Of course, I'm probably also 100% wrong...