Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:17 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:45 pm 
Rookie

Hi.

I am a visual learner and am a designer at heart. Australia's game industry is very very small. Though i am a designer there are not much jobs here. So to make thing short, i need to learn how to program to make my own game.

I have learned C. It messed my mind up, because i am a visual learner. I really want to write less line of code for things to start coming into place. I have heard of SDL and it was much better. But i want to find out, what is the easiest language to make games.

Html is nice, because it is simple(so easy to draw). I am a newbie. So can you help me to find a way to create games, as easily to create webpages.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:09 pm 
Dexterous Droid

someuser000 wrote:
a way to create games, as easily to create webpages.

This doesn't exist.

Unity is a very visual oriented environment to start with - if you're familiar with 3D modelling software, it feels quite similar on the surface. Ultimately though, no matter how you slice it, you'll have to learn to code.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:40 pm 
Digerati

Also there's unreal engine 4. They use a subscription model, so it's available to anyone.
It can be used by only visual means using their blueprint node editor, but that has its drawbacks as well, both performance and capability wise.

If you want to look into it there are several introduction videos on the unreal engine youtube channel.

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:01 am 
Level 22 Norse Warrior-Librarian

You might want to check out Game Maker, which I've started using lately. I believe it has a visual way of coding where you can drag and drop things to make code, and it also lets your write code :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:56 pm 
Grand Optimizer

You can also try Pygame (and Python). Python is a very well designed high level language, where you can do a lot in a few lines. No need for compile stuff, it compiles when you start the program, so quickly that you don't even notice it happens.

Pygame is the Python interface to SDL, so you can write a game in an incremental way (code a few lines, try if it works, code more lines, etc).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:55 pm 
Bytewise

just to add to the list of programless game makers:

theres also RPG maker for making RPGS, you have the option to use Ruby to script a lot of things in it but generaly speaking you are fine with just the visual interface.

Also Scirra Construct and Scirra Construct 2 (I think the first one is free now, not sure) They are very simillar to Game Maker in the event creating way but it has also a lot of advanced features built-in like physics, file management and so...

both of these are mostly 2D but there are ways and scripts to make them 3D i think.

other than that i would double Pygame and python, very easy language to learn and very powerfull as well!