Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hello, new here...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:18 pm 
Rookie

So for a while now I have been wanting to get into game programming, but have gotten no where in terms of finding decent help. I haven't had much experience in coding besides HTML and that was just basics. I wanna make a game that I've had the idea for a while now. I understand programming can take ages and or a while. I don't wanna use Unity, I wanna get more in depth and actually produce something that will be rather inspiring, I just don't know when to start. Since I'm still young and can learn easier I wanna take this opportunity.

Post subject: Re: Hello, new here...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:40 pm 
Bibliotherapist

Welcome. 8)

The simplest way to get started is just to jump in. There's loads of choices for starting out in development.

My daughter has been playing with Scratch. It's very simple, but don't be fooled, you can do some very cool stuff and get results very quickly while learning about basic concepts like logic and loops.

A bit further along is Python and PyGame. Again, you can get quick results but Python allows more sophistication.

If you want to dive deeper, look at Java, C# or even C++.

Just set your self some simple targets (adding games, memory games and maybe even a snake clone or simple shooter) and give it a go.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:18 pm 
Bytewise

Welcome :) nice to have you here

you can try any of the options that CodeHead mentioned if you want to jump right into game programming. Game engines are a great way to start being creative and learn to program on the way. Also it gives you the option to Not reinvent the wheel and start writing your own systems and engines from scratch.

This forum and wiki will get you started :) if you need anything and you don't understand it from the other posts feel free to ask here anytime. The only thing we can really say to you now is keep up working because game programming takes time, as you said, and to start learning you just have to start and try stuff. theres no universal manual to this stuff :) it's about trying and seeing what your code does, but when you achieve something, even moving an object on the screen you will feel good about yourself :)

to help you a little, look into concepts like conditions, variables and their data-types, functions and methods. A little bit down the road when you find yourself comfortable using those learn how to use structures and classes to keep your code cleaner.

Quote:
I wanna get more in depth and actually produce something that will be rather inspiring, I just don't know when to start. Since I'm still young and can learn easier I wanna take this opportunity.

If you see it this way, pick a language and get started with in-depth programming. first get comfortable using all the stuff above, so you should be able to write short text-based games, like guessing numbers without any help. after that look up how to start using a library like openGL, openCL or DirectX and start trying out some easy 2D games. This should help you understand the library you are using and give you an idea on how textures and objects work in memory and how are they drawn on the screen. Typically you should make a game of pong first, as thats pretty much the easiest example, I would also suggest trying to make a sokoban game, great game for learning logics. If you feel skilled enough try to make Tetris, it's harder than in looks :) . I personally made about 3 different games of pong and then I tried to make my own game engine and to this day it's hardly complete, but I still add stuff from time to time to it and it handles all the basic stuff as particles with different settings, adding objects, GUIs, texts and stuff. I won't recommend this as it caused several head-aches xD.

:) I don't want to scare you off so I will shut-up now. I am just always so excited to help someone to get into programming ^^

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:22 am 
Rookie

i'm new here too 8) I also think that while we are young, we should try something difficult to exercise ourseves! Programming is really not easy!i hope you can realize your dream! Wish you success :thumbs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:08 am 
Rookie

Is there new user introduction thread or something like that somewhere?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:51 pm 
Bibliotherapist

Welcome!

We've never really needed an intro thread, most people either ask or answer a question and go from there.

The board is so quiet these days that I don't think it'd be worth adding one now. However, as always, I'm open to the community's opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:21 am 
Rookie

Hi there!! New one here too! In my short experience, I'd strongly recommend you to code in c#. You said you did not want to develop in Unity but I think you could reconsider. Out there many many people are using Unity with C# so you will wind a lot of help and tutorials to cover the basics.
You could perhaps go on to something more hardcore when you get along with it? I might be wrong, but that has been my approach to programming.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:44 pm 
Bytewise

Yup, old thread "Jul 26, 2013" :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:33 am 
Ankle Nibbler

Ah it's all good. And that's actually a good comment about Unity... I see so many tutorials about doing things in Unity.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:24 am 
Rookie

Crazy, I'd swear I saw new comment so I jumped in to answer! Hahaha.. answering a 6months old post, great for me! Still getting used to the place, I'll try not to trip over again xD