Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:04 am 
Bibliotherapist

The IEEE have released their own programming language rankings based on a number of metrics:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/static/interac ... -languages

It's interesting to see how they differ from the TIOBE index:

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/ ... index.html

TIOBE is based on search data and many say that it has been gamed. Obj-C is way down at 13 in the IEEE table, and given that iOS development is a huge area, I'm not sure which I trust.

No sign of Swift in either table, perhaps it is too early.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:26 am 
Bytewise

I'm not sure if it is possible to rank programming languages like that. I would always choose a language based on what my needs are. I really like C/C++ for low level, OS related stuff but C# would go for everything I need to do fast and simple on a windows machine. Java is obviously cross-platform and it's the best option for mobile devices right now. I don't even see how id PHP relevantly comparable to C or Javascript as it is a server language and it's optimized to do such tasks better. how do you even quantify that? Ruby and Lua are easy to implement and a lot of engines use those as scripting languages.

Based on what would you even rate these? look at their [url="http://spectrum.ieee.org/ns/IEEE_TPL/methods.html"]method of ranking[/url] it really just represents what application uses are done most at current moment. The statistic would stay the same if you renamed it to "languages most mentioned on the internet" but that would make the same statistic less interesting.

Any opinions?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:41 pm 
Bibliotherapist

I'd agree that there is no overall 'best' language, but ranking by job ads is a useful metric. It tells you if your skills are in demand and where you should brush up if you're looking to improve your chances in the job market.

However, I've found that having rare or out of favour skills can also be very good for the salary. ;)