Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:22 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:34 am 
Bibliotherapist

Sony's PS4 reveal seems to have hit the mark on pre-owned games and price point. However, there was also good news for indie developers.
http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/10/sony- ... station-4/
The only bad thing I see in the PS4 launch is that online multiplayer will now require a premium account (like Xbox Live Gold).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:11 pm 
Dexterous Droid

This is pretty cool for indie devs. Just a pity that they'll be Playstation exclusive :/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:43 am 
King Code Monkey

It seems that "indie" to Sony is not the lone wolf in his basement kind of indie. It's more the small studio kind of indie:

Quote:
Application Materials
Please upload your application materials documentation. The document must include:
Softology
- Prior Development experience
- Product Catalogue
Playstation Development & Product Plan
- 6-12 Month Product Plan (Titles, ReleaseDates, Projects)
Technical Capacity
- Proprietary Engine?
- Sony Licensed Middleware Engine?
Key Personnel Details
- Number of Employees
- Background of key staff members

Playstation Mobile seems to be more lax, but I don't know that it's worth it.

Microsoft XNA MVP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:07 am 
Bibliotherapist

Yeah, that is kinda lifting the target beyond one man teams. So where do lone wolf devs go now?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:23 am 
Dexterous Droid

Codehead wrote:
Yeah, that is kinda lifting the target beyond one man teams. So where do lone wolf devs go now?

Just stay on PC :)

(Or maybe Ooya will become viable one day)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:49 pm 
Harmlessness does no harm

IGTHORN wrote:
(Or maybe Ooya will become viable one day)

It is actually going to be released (in the States, and in other countries soon after) in the next couple weeks (June 25, IIRC). And you'll be able to buy them in brick-and-mortar stores, as well as online. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:09 pm 
King Code Monkey

I don't know that the adoption rate of the Ouya is going to be large enough to make it worthwhile at this point. How many of the people that bought it through the Kickstarter are going to be spending money on games on it and how many were devs hoping to make money?

Microsoft XNA MVP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:07 am 
Bibliotherapist

There's an awful lot of angry Xbox owners looking for a new platform just now. Ouya could do well out of the situation.
Of course, all the fuss could die down too, and said gamers may just bend over and take it like they always do. :rolleyes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:04 am 
Bibliotherapist

Interesting post over on Develop about the difference between Sony and Microsoft's licencing/publishing strategy.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/4453 ... ing-policy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:56 pm 
King Code Monkey

I really think they're making a big mistake by not having something ready for indies.

Microsoft XNA MVP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:56 am 

If it means anything, they delayed the release of Ouya. Originally, it was slated for release a week or two ago, but they pushed the date to the 25th -- the reason was "to meet an unanticipated volume of demand." So, if that is to be believed, then there's definitely a little momentum there. Still early to know anything, but this may be a good sign.

As an aside, I think that if OnLive had been approached in a fashion similar to that of Ouya, it probably would have been insanely successful. It's almost as though OnLive got done right by someone else.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:03 pm 
Rookie

Machaira wrote:
It seems that "indie" to Sony is not the lone wolf in his basement kind of indie. It's more the small studio kind of indie:

Quote:
Application Materials
Please upload your application materials documentation. The document must include:
Softology
- Prior Development experience
- Product Catalogue
- 6-12 Month Product Plan (Titles, ReleaseDates, Projects)
Technical Capacity
- Proprietary Engine?
- Sony Licensed Middleware Engine?
Key Personnel Details
- Number of Employees
- Background of key staff members

Playstation Mobile seems to be more lax, but I don't know that it's worth it.

I see nothing here preventing lone-wolf basement-dwellers from making use of this product.

Prior Development experience:
This is just asking for examples of things you've developed before. If you take any pride in your work at all, you have this on hand. Anything to demonstrate the skill of what you're making.

Product Catalogue:
Come on... If you don't have enough products made to have even a small 5-product catalogue, then you have no business trying to get your work on a machine like the PS4 in the first place. Do you think you can just bypass paying your dues and learning your trade and jump right into the seat of power without proving yourself? hah.

- 6-12 Month Product Plan (Titles, ReleaseDates, Projects):
Again, if you don't have this sorted out before you even approach them with your products, then you have no right approaching them. You should have a plan for development and products and if you can't deliver on them within 6 months to a year, then why should they allow you to put your products on their machine? Odds are that within two to three years they'll have another system that completely blows the PS4 out of the water. You have to be realistic.

Key Personnel Details
- Number of Employees
- Background of key staff members:

honestly, if someone gives you a roll of a toilet paper to wipe your ass during a bathroom break you take while working on your project, you can list them as an employee. If you're a crackshot programmer and superhumanly make everything yourself, fib a little and expand your employee list to make it look larger than it actually is. If you start making money off it, maybe pay the people you have to give background info for.

This isn't a method of keeping good indie developers out of the loop; this is a method of weeding out the weak and the go-nowhere's. Like any industry, you have to prove yourself on various levels to be able to jump in the game. And, odds are, if you're a 'lone-wolf' dev, you're weak and going nowhere (at the moment).

And, Online Multiplayer SHOULD be premium membership. Let us play our games offline for a regular membership, as long as its free or next to free. If you want to play online you should pay monthly dues just like you do for your comp.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:25 am 

idioticidioms wrote:
Come on... If you don't have enough products made to have even a small 5-product catalogue, then you have no business trying to get your work on a machine like the PS4 in the first place.

I guess then that the people who worked on games like Cave Story, Dust: An Elysian Tail, and Minecraft shouldn't have even bothered.

Reminds me of the weekly "how do I make an MMO" threads we got from teenagers with no development experience. "You might want to start smaller" is good sense, but telling them "you can't do it, give up now" doesn't help anybody.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:06 am 
Rookie

Mugai wrote:
idioticidioms wrote:
Come on... If you don't have enough products made to have even a small 5-product catalogue, then you have no business trying to get your work on a machine like the PS4 in the first place.

I guess then that the people who worked on games like Cave Story, Dust: An Elysian Tail, and Minecraft shouldn't have even bothered.

Reminds me of the weekly "how do I make an MMO" threads we got from teenagers with no development experience. "You might want to start smaller" is good sense, but telling them "you can't do it, give up now" doesn't help anybody.

Don't twist my words. I never said 'don't do it' or 'you can't do it', I just said 'have your s*** in order.'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:43 am 
Bibliotherapist

I think the value of the XBLIG platform depended on your viewpoint. Most gamers didn't care and that's why it doesn't look like its going to survive into the next gen. However, from a small developer's point of view, it provided great motivation to get an idea into code and gave you the kudos of having it published on the console. Some of the games were rubbish, but it lowered the barrier to entry and provided a first step on the ladder to build a portfolio gain valuable experience.

Now the barrier to entry has been lifted higher, less people will get that step up. The big boys don't care and their backsides are protected from competition. Once again, the small fry have to get very lucky to break in, the artificial requirement for middlemen ensures that profits are spread thinly and the consumer pays for it all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:32 pm 

idioticidioms wrote:
I never said 'don't do it' or 'you can't do it', I just said 'have your s*** in order.'

The games I mentioned all came from authors with fewer than five (or *no*) prior products. I'm not twisting anyone's words, but what do you do if you prepare a nice, substantial game, but cannot do anything with it without first preparing four more nice, substantial games? It's akin to having to start five successful businesses in order to get any profit from just one.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:51 am 
Rookie

What is the difference between DevIndieGames on PS4 and XBoxOne?
is release a tool for develop indie games on PS4 or XO? like game engine?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:55 pm 
King Code Monkey

The tools available to indies on both platforms haven't really been announced. It could be that it would be the same as what 100 person teams use.

Microsoft XNA MVP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:43 am 
BANNED

And not Ouya. :thumbs

Or butts. :(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:30 am 

I'm actually chomping at the bit to get an Ouya. Couldn't care less about XO or PS4 at this point. Ouya comes out in just a few more days, but it will be a bit before I can scrape up enough extra pennies from rolling gas money to get one.

The SDK has been available for a couple months now, too. I wish mainstream consoles would take a second thought on open platforms -- the Android market (sorry, Google Play) is littered with more "crap" per capita than the App Store (or so they say, I have never looked at the latter), but there are a lot of rare gems that probably wouldn't have made it to the App Store. Not because they are unworthy, but because walled gardens tend to aim their favor arbitrarily.

And Ouya has a hot butt.