Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:15 pm 
Bibliotherapist

The Ouya console is having its retail launch pushed back to ensure that there is plenty of stock to meet demand.

http://spong.com/article/29521/Ouya-to- ... e-4-Launch

The Android based console has just secured another $15m in funding and seems to have a strong future.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:15 pm 
Harmlessness does no harm

Shoot, I want one of those. Have for quite a while now, though. I don't care if it's not a PS4 or XBOX [whatever], but I do care that it is the first "mainstream" console (in as far as it is being sold in retail stores in the US) with an open platform. Say what you will about the wonderful walls of some gardens, and the weeds which infest those who allow anyone to roam freely, but I'm happy that, finally, an open console will hit retail shelves. I hope it is a cue for companies like Sony and Nintendo to loosen their iron-fist mentality of game development, even if but a couple PSI (which is all anyone could dream of, anyway).

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:46 am 
Bibliotherapist

I'd quite like one too. I'm torn between this and the Rasberry Pi. However, I know a few people who have picked up Pis and none of them have done anything with useful with them. I know it'd be one of those 'wouldn't it be cool to...' things that I never actually get around to doing.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:44 pm 
Harmlessness does no harm

Same here. I would dig having a Raspberry Pi, but at the same time, I know I wouldn't do very much with it. It is made as an experimentation/learning tool, so to someone who already knows a fair amount about computer science and programming would only benefit from the "gear-lust" in getting one. On the other hand, the Ouya does have its own market, and Average Joe User could, should he be so industrious, develop a game for the system and have it sold in their market, a la Google Play. (Good look getting that done on PSN or Nintendo's channels.)

The only thing keeping me from going to full-blown Android dev is that JavaScript is (IMO, of course, lol) a much nicer language than Java. I knew for many years that the old "Java == JavaScript" belief was a complete myth, but after becoming close enough to a JavaScript ninja to understand just how far apart they are, I am more inclined to use JS to write Android apps (either via browser, or one of the conversion tools that wraps Web apps into native Android programs). The only thing that bothers me is performance. I haven't yet had a chance to make a final call on whether the performance would be acceptable, but I'm willing to make sacrifices there before wading through the muck and mire that is Java. To me, that would be almost a last resort.