Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Atari Goes Bankrupt
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:11 pm 
Bibliotherapist

The troubled gaming pioneer is having a tough time again. It seems that the US arm is trying to cut loose from the French division which is wallowing in debt.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575650 ... rotection/
Hopefully, they'll pull through. They've had tough times before and survived. It would be a shame to see the brand fall.

Post subject: Re: Atari Goes Bankrupt
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:39 pm 
Grand Optimizer

It's sad to read about this sortof thing. Infact just the other day, I read an article about Gas Powered Games having some difficulties. I've always loved Demigod and the Supreme Commander series. It would be a shame to see this studio go under. They're asking $1.1M on Kickstarter for their new project "Wildman", but they've laid on their staff in the meantime. The owner of the studio posted a video on Kickstarter explaining the situation.

Despite how I feel about the whole crowd funding thing, I'm very tempted to make a donation.

http://tankzgame.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:36 am 
BANNED

Oh yeah, I just heard that Gas Powered Games news. It's sad. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:51 am 
Bibliotherapist

GPG did Dungeon Siege too didn't they? A great game. It's a shame that great games don't assure studios of some stability.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:59 pm 
BANNED

Quote:
GPG did Dungeon Siege too didn't they? A great game.

One of my favorite games of all time! It's one of those games that helped push me to as far as I am currently experienced with game development (Remember, I'm only 17).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:24 pm 
Grand Optimizer

I always meant to try Dungeon Seige, but never did. May need to check that out at some point.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:23 am 
BANNED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsK4FZCGums

BLAMAMAMAAA!

BEM BEM BEM BEM BEM...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:39 pm 
Grand Optimizer

This whole recent business with THQ is equally sad. I absolutely adored the Darksiders series, and the Homeworld series will always be very near and dear to me. Combine all that with the GPG thing and what a sad week for the industry.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:24 am 
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I always meant to try Dungeon Seige, but never did. May need to check that out at some point.

BLAMAMAMAAA!

BEM BEM BEM BEM BEM...

This whole recent business with THQ is equally sad. I absolutely adored the Darksiders series, and the Homeworld series will always be very near and dear to me. Combine all that with the GPG thing and what a sad week for the industry.

BOOM BOOM BLAM!
CHICKABRAANG-DOOP!
VROOMALOOMLOOM!!

BOOP.

I'm having so much fun right now. Thanks for trying to keep the conversation meaningful. :rofl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:12 pm 
BANNED

*bump*

I have finally given into the Kickstarter crap: http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1945227057

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:31 pm 
Dexterous Droid

A pretty interesting interview with Christ Taylor from Gas Powered Games: Matt Chat 182: Chris Taylor on the Fall of Gas Powered Games

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:31 pm 
Digerati

That's so sad. I liked a bunch of gpg games. It's sad to see them go. The KS pledges don't look promising at all ;/
Looks like pc games are dying after all, or at least the companies :rolleyes

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:49 pm 
BANNED

Quote:
That's so sad. I liked a bunch of gpg games. It's sad to see them go. The KS pledges don't look promising at all ;/
Looks like pc games are dying after all, or at least the companies :rolleyes

I find it sad because I actually want to play the game. I haven't anticipated a game as much as this one for a long time... Honestly, I find it weird that people hype over shiny spoons rather than the promise of a really great experience. I think Wildman looks really solid and I think it will do much more for gaming than just restore the PC arena to full health (*Unintentionally applies RPG reference*).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:20 am 
Digerati

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuGdQqUhKD4

This makes me cry. Finally someone implemented something like this, since i'm too incompetent and lazy. I had something like a boundless window manager in mind but this is even more awesome.

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:39 am 
BANNED

Meh. I don't find it that impressive. Highly functional & usable desktop environments (i.e. Windows, Linux desktop environments etc.) have always lacked real design improvements since the start of the 2000's. Chris Taylor has realized at least two nice ideas here, but I can already list flaws and a number of missing features (which I don't believe they've realized yet) that are critical to provide for this project to push user efficiency any further than it has already succeeded in existing DEs. It does prove that Chris Taylor is the right man to give your money, but I would not mistake it for a revolutionary step in desktop environments. You said yourself that you have thought of a very similar idea independently... and I'm sure many other people (including myself) have thought of similar things. But damn... Chris Taylor has executed it nicely so far. Have you backed Wildman? Really, it looks like a VERY solid game! Please do, Mr. good Sir. :thumbs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:21 pm 
Dexterous Droid

That interface reminds me of a development environment the electrical engineers used to use. As soon as a project becomes reasonably large it starts looking like a total cluster coitus. I'm not convinced it's the next-gen desktop environment. Windows are a nice paradigm. And for development my two main issues are 1) clutter and 2) difficulty expressing certain concepts within the framework of linking modules together.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:32 pm 
BANNED

Quote:
That interface reminds me of a development environment the electrical engineers used to use. As soon as a project becomes reasonably large it starts looking like a total cluster coitus. I'm not convinced it's the next-gen desktop environment. Windows are a nice paradigm. And for development my two main issues are 1) clutter and 2) difficulty expressing certain concepts within the framework of linking modules together.

Bingo. Navigation and no-hassle cluster manipulation are some other problems. They don't have a coherent shortcut scheme, given that you are provided "infinite space." Mere bookmarks definitely will not work.

I'll probably find it annoying to use if they don't at least address those issues. As for linking modules, I think the best direction for a modular/procedural authoring scheme is a combination of ~~

1. Uniform orthogonal layouts for micro-managed atomic workspaces. Think of spreadsheets [data-oriented] or werkkzeug [procedure-oriented]
2. Arbitrary containers that nest content into non-uniform orthogonal meshes for the macroscopic framework; equivalent to GPG's work, but using orthogonal meshes rather than floating windows i.e. modules always make orthogonally-adjacent connections. One big problem is how these are manipulated. You can't argue that floating-windows are more intuitive to manage as long as these ortho-windows are not managed with immediate drag on drop. A drag and drop scheme can still be implemented to function intuitively, but will probably only function elegantly on an intermediate domain (i.e. think contrary to WYSIWYG).

Whereby this combo exists within an infinite workspace environment that is ultimately controlled by some kind of hierarchical-relational scheme which effectively increases the coherence of manipulation and defines the basis of filtering.

Here is an excerpt from my work-in-progress essay on tool design:
=================================================

Exhibit 4
Now let's look at .werkkzeug (apparently with one less k, 'werkzeug' is German for 'tool'!)

Introductions: http://wikibin.org/articles/.werkkzeug.html, http://theproduct.de/tool.html, http://web.archive.org/web/201107170250 ... werkkzeug1, and http:// llg.cubic.org/docs/farbrauschDemos/ (start reading from at least "The procedural Idea").

I can't find any easily-accessible demonstrations of it, so just download it here to see what it is like (it's small): http://www.farb-rausch.com/prod.py?which=113
Also, please watch this video (though it's 63 MB) to get an in depth explanation of .werkkzeug:
http://www.scene.org/file.php?file=%2Fp ... i&fileinfo

As you will hear later in the video @ 30:07 (after his portion on .werkkzeug), I also completely agree with Chaos's opinions on user-interface design. For those who don't want to download the video, I've rewritten the first and most important slide from this part:

About GUI Design
- Overlapping windows are evil. (Arrange windows with splitters)
- Icons don't make things better. (Usually they are meaningless when you see them for the first time.) *He says textual labels are better.
- Don't use Windows [Win32 API, native GUI-libraries etc.], code your own GUI-library! (In the end, this will save a lot of time!) *He makes some good points about the complexity of customizing/re-targeting pre-existing GUI systems in contrast to introducing a unique solution. Personally, I also think Window's native GUI always sucks anyway. You will also find that bugs are abundant with GUI-libraries such as Win32.
- Don't hide complexity. (Let your GUI match your data.)
[There are more slides, but they're about more minor/particular design principles. I recommend you just download it and watch the entire thing]

I would like to make an addition to his opinion regarding complexity -- which I completely agree with; I hate it when I have to navigate through an unnecessary organizational scheme every time I want to work with one element, or when I'm completely unable to manipulate such properties:

It helps to find a scheme that contains such complexity without having to distribute it i.e. I see no problem with reduced interfaces, as long as they apply to forms of manipulations which may be reduced naturally -- perhaps in a more ideal approach with a better fitting model. For instance: In Blender, I think materials would be much easier to create if their control-model explicitly respected anisotropic BRDF data. Stacking various predefined BRDF models and tweaking their parameters is unnatural, limited and very hard to work with. This solution might actually introduce physically based material design i.e. real material properties involving particulate compositions, gels/liquids etc. which serve as an abstraction corresponding to micro-facet theory, though not disturbing complexity as much as generalized BRDFs.

Quote:
Christ Taylor

Correction: Almighty Jesus Taylor!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:51 pm 
BANNED

And nobody replies :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:51 am 
Harmlessness does no harm

Was someone supposed to reply? I didn't see a question there. (I was wondering why this topic was bumped... I thought Atari had gone bankrupt a while back, and maybe did it again, haha)