Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Xbox One U-Turn
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:25 pm 
Bibliotherapist

Microsoft have bowed to consumer reaction and climbed down on their controversial DRM policies for the upcoming console.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22980973
While think it's the right thing to do, that's another policy u-turn in the face of public pressure and the start of a dangerous precedent.

Post subject: Re: Xbox One U-Turn
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:25 pm 
King Code Monkey

The only thing I really had an issue with was the 24 hour check-in and even that didn't really affect me. I wish they'd taken a step to deal with the indie issue instead of caving in to pressure. :(

Microsoft XNA MVP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:28 pm 
Source Code Swashbuckler

Microsoft interactive president Don Mattrick wrote:
The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

And they need to be told this? wasn't this obvious from the very first day gaming industry even started? Who is running this freakin' business, chimpanzees?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:57 pm 
Harmlessness does no harm

Hazarth wrote:
And they need to be told this? wasn't this obvious from the very first day gaming industry even started? Who is running this freakin' business, chimpanzees?

Worse -- executives in monkey suits. :P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:12 pm 
Rookie

Machaira wrote:
The only thing I really had an issue with was the 24 hour check-in and even that didn't really affect me. I wish they'd taken a step to deal with the indie issue instead of caving in to pressure. :(

If your power ever went off for more than 24 hours, it would affect you. And honestly, they should have caved to the pressure that came from the populace over their product, because their product; while having much to be admired; had a lot of pure and utter BS. And honestly, you only care about them taking a notice to Indie work because you're probably an indie developer who's tired of paying his dues and working himself up the rungs of developers to actually make it into the video game industry and just want an easier way to do so. Kind of selfish and lazy to just bypass the actual important features of the new system to complain about something that only affects a small percentage of the overall community that will be using the system.

you want to make it as an indie developer? Get a good crew going, become a manager and manage them and manage everything; get a portfolio going of your best work and start going around to video game companies looking for work, or start your own. It's a lot of a work that you're hoping beyond hope to bypass when so many people weren't able to bypass that work. People with extraordinary talent even have to put in hard work to get noticed. What makes you so special?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:06 pm 
Bibliotherapist

idioticidioms wrote:
If your power ever went off for more than 24 hours, it would affect you.

Umm, I don't think any game console would work if the power was off. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:15 pm 
Source Code Swashbuckler

Codehead wrote:
Umm, I don't think any game console would work if the power was off.

Unless he owns a backup UPS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:31 pm 
Rookie

Codehead wrote:
idioticidioms wrote:
If your power ever went off for more than 24 hours, it would affect you.

Umm, I don't think any game console would work if the power was off. ;)

uh, you can try to clown, I guess. I'm perfectly aware of the fact that technological devices without their own battery power-source are unable to operate when power is absent. From what I understand, Microsoft was designing the XBox One in such a way that would render it unable to access games if cut off from the internet for more than 24 hours, which would definitely be true if the power was cut off from your area for over 24 hours. Thus, you'd be rendered with a glorified and costly blue-ray player. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:14 am 
Bibliotherapist

I don't think that the console would be 'bricked' if it didn't call home for 24 hours. It would just operate with reduced functionality until it could connect again. Otherwise console would die when you went on holiday, moved house or changed Internet provider.

However, people do lose Internet sometimes and XBL has outages. I'm pretty sure if the 24 hour check in requirement had been left in, the XBL servers would have been a big target for people like anonymous.

Interestingly the Internet at large seems to be suggesting today that Microsoft caved too easily. :rolleyes What's a multinational tech giant got to do to keep its customers happy?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:36 pm 
Source Code Swashbuckler

Just so we are all on the same page

Microsoft wrote:
Microsoft adds that "offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you reestablish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies."

That means if you loose your internet connection for more then 24h you won't be able to play the game in offline mode either. once the connection is back On you can continue playing online/offline.

And when you really give it a though, it's the most retarded decision they have ever made.. because if I loose my Internet connection for lets say a week, what I would like to do is to play some games on my Xbox One console (which I don't own, I am just saying...). So What Microsoft figured out is "well... if they can't connect to the Internet in 24h they probably don't want to play at all!".

idioticidioms wrote:
uh, you can try to clown, I guess. I'm perfectly aware of the fact that technological devices without their own battery power-source are unable to operate when power is absent. From what I understand, Microsoft was designing the XBox One in such a way that would render it unable to access games if cut off from the internet for more than 24 hours, which would definitely be true if the power was cut off from your area for over 24 hours. Thus, you'd be rendered with a glorified and costly blue-ray player.

This is incorrect. It is true that while you are out of power for more then 24h you can't be playing the games on your Xbox, but you couldn't anyway because your power is off. As you said, you understand this, but I don't think you understand that the game is playable again after you reconnect. So when you power comes back on-line so does your connection which means everything will be functional again! yay!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:59 pm 
Game Programming Guru

I have bad internet, but in spite of that, I think the biggest problems with games or systems that require you to phone home is that it requires the company to maintain the servers. Don't think it's OK just because Microsoft is huge and "isn't going anywhere". When XBoxOne is a few generations old, the technology that drives the internet could be very different. Do you think they'll spend the money to make sure their legacy consoles can still check in? What if the changes to the way the internet works require changes in client hardware, not just software? They won't let everyone send in their old consoles to be retrofitted for free.

Sometimes, if you're lucky, they'll release a legit hack to make it so you don't need the always on connection, but the more common precedent that we've seen from games companies are that they simply leave you in the lurch.

I actually go back and re-play old games from companies that no longer exist. I know I'm not alone.

But with that said, I've never owned a console, so I'm not too invested.