Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:08 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:53 am 
Harmlessness does no harm

wyrmmage wrote:
I guess to this I would say "maybe not", but is it really better to have the user have to actually go to the article to find out that the author thought that the game was fun for about five minutes and then became rather monotonous and unappealing? Either way, the game was unappealing, and that means that the author is probably recommending that people don't buy it.

To me, another reason for having some sort of quick system to see what reviewers thought of something is so that I can read one review and then scan for another review that has a different opinion. In this case, it's nice to be able to see a quick overview of what the reader thought, at least in some form. Admittedly, I don't really read game reviews very often, though, so I'm mostly drawing experience from the occasional reading of Google Maps reviews and such.

Yup! Ratings systems are for people who don't want to spend three hours reading about a game only to find out whether the fun will last more than five minutes. Some people don't have the luxury of time to read page-long reviews for games -- many of us are lucky to have time for playing games at all!

Long reviews are great for those who want an in-depth understanding, to make a really informed decision... but, honestly, how many of us will spend THAT much time reading long-winded reviews for every single game in which we are interested? I used to do this when I was a kid, but mainly because video games were my only friend. And I had time to read about games AND still have time to play them. Nowadays, I find it suffices to read a few scores and some highlights... and even then I usually don't have enough time to devote to the game to get very deep into it.

wyrmmage wrote:
If we can truly get people to write reviews about the technical side of games, that might be cool, but do we think that we can do that? I'm not saying that we can't, but it seems like it would be significantly harder to write a technical review than a normal one if you're not the author of the game. Alternatively, maybe we could have authors of games try to write postmortems where they talk about what went wrong and right with their game development process, etc.? I used to hang out at iDevGames quite a bit back in the day, and they had something like that, although I don't know how successful it was.

Alternatively, if we're going from the technical side of things, we could try to get reviews on game engines, in addition to games. I think it could be pretty handy to some people to be able to look over a list of, say, 2D game engines and read some reviews on them before getting started using them.

Indeed, reviewing games solely on their technical qualities will be difficult, given that we can typically only guess what lies in that part of a game. Apart from gushing over the advances in graphics, the innovative game gimmicks, and being able to enjoy the game without the threat of crashing or other software glitches... about all that is left is commentary on "how did they do that" elements.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:41 am 
Bytewise

Well that depends what kind of "technical" you have in mind. If you took a loot at what I think wyrmmage posted -> this <- Then you can see that the review didn't talk about the coding or engine at all but it was damn interesting read! The whole point is not talking about the game as a gamer but as someone who actually sees into it. Duscussing this with the developers of the game will be damn usefull but you can also write the review just from what you see... game design, mechanics and inovation, engine usage, story creation and shortcuts?

I think that our reviews should be used to kind of educate as well. You know, bring in something interesting. I was actually thinking about adding some code to my reviews like this: A game with some interesting mechanic, lets go with double jump now... well I might just add a bit of code and explanation of how double jump would be implemented in a standard game. We could also talk to the developers and ask about all the short commings to help other developers.

We should not forget that this is the Game programming wiki. Our reviews should also reflect the game programming part or at least give usefull information from this area. This is supposed to be the thing that will be different from other reviews.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:47 am 
Digerati

Hazarth wrote:
I think that our reviews should be used to kind of educate as well. You know, bring in something interesting. I was actually thinking about adding some code to my reviews like this: A game with some interesting mechanic, lets go with double jump now... well I might just add a bit of code and explanation of how double jump would be implemented in a standard game. We could also talk to the developers and ask about all the short commings to help other developers.

Interesting idea! I dig it.
However instead of writing samples in the article, i'd suggest to write a wiki article and link it accordingly (or link existing ones) so the wiki stays relevant aswell.

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:28 pm 
Bytewise

weezl wrote:
However instead of writing samples in the article, i'd suggest to write a wiki article and link it accordingly (or link existing ones) so the wiki stays relevant aswell.

Sounds good and it makes sense :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:17 am 

Now that sounds exceptional! Adding a different twist to reviews is much more productive than micro-managing the way ratings are handled. That's important, too, but really does nothing to separate us from "just another game review site," which is not the purpose of this website anyway. Writing reviews from more of a game-play-engineering perspective, though... that's good stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:56 pm 
Bytewise

Well, it seems we agreed on a way these should be written without actually needing to change a single piece of code. I would call that a success. :thumbs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:55 pm 
Level 22 Norse Warrior-Librarian

Hehe, well... should I go ahead and remove the ratings, then? XD

Also, do we like the fields that let you say what you liked and disliked about the game, or should we change those, now that we're going from more of a technical slant? Perhaps just something like a "cool technology/features" field, with no negative field?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:25 am 

If we're going purely technical, then I don't see a real purpose for ratings. There could, however, be some real merit in having a way to distinguish games that stand out from the crowd, from an engineering viewpoint. Instead of having a point scale, maybe have some way to mark certain items (i.e. a "starring" system) as notable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:13 pm 
Bytewise

Mugai wrote:
If we're going purely technical, then I don't see a real purpose for ratings. There could, however, be some real merit in having a way to distinguish games that stand out from the crowd, from an engineering viewpoint. Instead of having a point scale, maybe have some way to mark certain items (i.e. a "starring" system) as notable.

I think we can pull that off just by using Tags, no?

Also, yeah I think the ratings can be removed :) no real need for them now

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:57 pm 

I suppose. The main thing is that they stand out. If we could associate a tag with highlighting a review stub in a list of reviews (which is a trivial matter), then that works.