Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:32 pm 
Bibliotherapist

Guest posting was enabled for a long time on GPWiki. Most bots didn't try to post anon as it was quite a rare thing to be left enabled. However, a couple of years ago they cottoned on and flooded the forum with spam so it was turned off.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:27 pm 
Level 22 Norse Warrior-Librarian

I have quite a bit of experience with PHP and web dev and things (it was my day job for a few years), so I'd be happy to help if people would like :)

I've also worked with Drupal and Joomla for a couple of years, although quite a bit more so with Drupal, so if people would like help or feedback with those, just let me know :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:42 pm 
Grand Optimizer

In my opinion, getting some web page system up is the smaller problem.
The bigger problem is how to get some flow of content on a longer term.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:17 am 
Harmlessness does no harm

Codehead wrote:
BTW Clint, your landing page code was awesome and most of it is still there behind the scenes. :thumbs

Awesome! Quite the compliment. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:38 am 
Bytewise

Theres another Job offer on this website... It seems people like to send those in here (I guess for obvious reasons). So wouldn't it be also a good idea to add something like an announcement board or offers board where people can post this kind of things? It might bring more people here for stuff like that too. Also we seem to be getting a lot of "Hey, I make free music for you guys" type of stuff. This could be placed there as well?

any thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:42 pm 

That sounds like a good idea to me :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:40 pm 
Bibliotherapist

We already have an announcements board? Or am I missing the point?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:00 pm 
Bytewise

What I ment i having a place specificaly created for Job Offers and a place created for Free Resources offered by some of the gpwiki members. Right now these kinds of stuff are thrown in with everything else. The announcements board contains all kinds of stuff including news, job offers, updates on game progress, new blogs created by some members and ofc game releases. What I think is detaching the Job offers into a more organized system and having the Free resources in a stand alone section also.

The reason is, when I go to the announcement sections, I'm interested in whats new, whats happening and stuff like that. All of this is just fine but let's say I wan't to look up some resources for my game, it's much simpler to just use google instead of using the announcement sections. The same goes for job offers, It's really inefficient to look through the announcements board for job offers, instead I would probably need to look in specialized website which don't really provide as a friendly communication as a forum board would. This ofc wouldn't apply to stuff like news, tool and games updates and any other announcements as there is no clear way to categorize these in a game programming friendly way.

What do you think about this Codehead?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:23 pm 
Bibliotherapist

I guess we could look at arranging the forums to suit the audience. However, I'm wary of creating too many boards. We had a cull a while back because we had way too many sub-forums. We don't get a lot of traffic and spreading out a small quantity of posts over a wide area make the place look even more dead than it is.

[Edit] I think the VB forum can go for starters. The language is pretty much dead and although the post count is high from the glory days, there has only been a couple of posts since 2012/2013. The posts can be merged into 'Other' I may even be able to tag the titles with [VB] before the merge.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:29 am 

Quote:
However, I'm wary of creating too many boards.

This ^

With the low level of activity, it makes little sense to add more empty boards (or waste time pulling stuff from one board to populate a new board that doesn't really need to be separated from the current entity). Creating more boards isn't going to achieve anything but create unnecessary work.

Really, if nothing else, the site would probably benefit from better integration, rather than additional separation. Bring things together under a common interface -- rather than have separate entities for content (the wiki) and for community (the forum). This was the focus in the prior talks of revamping the site -- make things more cohesive, rather than simply on adding stuff. I don't recall many of the ideas, as it's been a few years, and I've been focused more on things completely unrelated to web development (and programming in general)... so not sure what else I can offer as far as suggestions for the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:07 am 
Bytewise

Ok then, that makes sense. So what else can we do? Cause the discussion is dying quickly O_o. I'm assuming that we agreed on the Game reviews/articles thing but there has to be something more we can do right? Also when we're doing articles we should start talking design. There is already a thread here for discussing the content of reviews to ensure quality content from the beginning!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:41 pm 
Digerati

Hazarth wrote:
Also when we're doing articles we should start talking design.

Design of what specifically? It's such a broad term :P

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:50 pm 
Bytewise

weezl wrote:
Hazarth wrote:
Also when we're doing articles we should start talking design.

Design of what specifically? It's such a broad term :P

Webpage design, we are not going to use the forum to handle articles are we?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:11 pm 
Digerati

yeah sure, i'm all for that. if you have suggestions for a specific design, don't feel shy.
I tried a couple times to come up with a color scheme, but i didnt find anything really amazing. there's one more scheme i wanna play around with which came to my mind earlier. not sure how fitting it is though :P i'll let you know when i have something

edit:faster than expected :D
some quick mockup of a lucas-arts inspired colortheme. did not quite turn out like i hoped it would. i might tweak it some more if you like the direction.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/122 ... -style.css

this kind of palette is what i was going for. not sure how i can implement it more appealing.

BTW:
It's been bothering me since we restricted the forums width: can we have images scale appropriately if they go beyond the forums width?

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:01 pm 

I think that one way to restrict the width the width of images would be to select the images using CSS and then do a max-width: 100%;, which I think should restrict it. For these forums, I think that the CSS would be this:
Code:
.postbody img
{
max-width: 100%;
}

I did a quick try in my browser and it seemed to work :) As far as I know, at least modern browsers automatically scale the height of the image, too, so that there's no distortion. Of course, it would be nice to have something where if the image were too large, one could click it to open it in a new tab and see it at its original dimensions, but that would require JavaScript, I think :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:53 pm 
Bibliotherapist

OK, the VB forum is no more. :( I tagged all the posts with [VB] and moved them into the 'Other Languages' area.
The forum ID in the database was 1, so that was the first forum created here by Lucky. :(

I think there may be some mileage in rearranging the forums a little. Announcements probably doesn't belong in Off-Topic.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:21 pm 
Digerati

Yeah didnt we have a discussion about that earlier this year? I think someone else did a pretty good basic layout. i'll try and dig it up tomorrow.

But yeah, good buy VB! :\

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:30 pm 
Digerati

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12240&p=147033#p147033

This is the post i was thinking about.
I think a little cleaning up would definitely help getting some oversight :)

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:48 am 
A.I. Lifeform

farewell vb board. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:39 am 

Funny thing, recently I've found myself out of work, with a lot more free time. I also deactivated my Facebook account, as it seems to have contributed quite a lot in me reverting back to my old vile, toxic self... just as I was finally starting to have my life turned around. I don't wanna go back to the place I was a couple years ago -- so I'm being very cautious of who I let in my life... so getting away from Facebook was the first, best action to take!

And I've already started knocking the rust off my old Web coding stuff. Hint, hint.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next