Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: What's the New Hotness?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:26 pm 
Bibliotherapist

Having worked with HTML 5 canvas, a bit of Python and NodeJS in a recent project and seeing my old OpenGL tuts getting very long in the tooth, I find myself wondering.... What's the go-to tool for game devs these days?
Going back to my old C++ code seems such a slow and painful way to work. There must be a better way?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:34 pm 
Digerati

Depends on the goals. People mostly use Flash for web deployment, or unity with its web capabilities. Unity in general is constantly getting a bigger userbase. Other than that, it's hard to say. People like to use SFML or OpenTK, SDL or whathaveyou.
And sometimes even Java.

There's no definite answer, although i'd say Unity is probably the one to look out for.

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:25 am 
Game Programming Guru

I don't really know what's "hot", but I'm having fun playing with Unity, even if at times it does feel a bit like GameMaker on steroids rather than really creating a game from scratch.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:48 am 
Prime Example

I personally have made several games using Unity and am not a big fan of it. Too many problems in detail and quite bad company support (although my experience is pre free Unity, can't tell if this has changed now the company is getting bigger and bigger)

There is one competitor on Unity3D that will even be available on Linux in only a couple of weeks (i used 3.0 on Windows yet, but beeing able to work full time under Linux is one very important thing to me, i bet Unity won't go there ever)

Its Leadwerks 3.1, i especially love that you can choose between developing with LUA or C++, because lets be honest... C++ nowadays is not only fast in execution, it is also fast in terms of development and as long as you keep it real C++ you don't end up hunting down lost pointers anymore...

Besides that i am currently in the process in developing a new open source 2D game framework for SDL2, i always love to have the opportunity to support more exotic platforms like haiku-os, amiga os, freebsd, and so on.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:54 am 
Bytewise

I have unity installed and I played with it a bit, it's a really great engine and easy to work with because of its component system. But it feels a little ...hmm... i think the best description was given by Lachlan87, it's basicaly GameMaker on steroids. I still like to go back to C++ and SDL2 and make stuff from scratch. Its a lot more fun!! :spin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:30 pm 
Bibliotherapist

Does Flash really have a future outside of Windows? No support on IOS, limited support on Android and painful Linux installs. I don't know about Mac, but it seems like it may be fading away. Maybe St Steve was right?

The only place I really see it these days is Facebook games.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:16 pm 
Digerati

I only work and every use windows, so i dont know how multiplatforming is perceived with flash on other systems really. Although it is still a valid option to use when being a small developer. Going to sites like FlashGameLicense to offer your game can earn you some bucks in exchange for sponsorship. (ArmorGames, etc) There are a lot of Sites that enable you to earn a few bucks on the side aswell by ad revenue, like kongregate or newgrounds, although not sure how that works in detail.

As for unity, well, i dont like it either. It certainly has a powerful way of doing things, but as it is with engines, you need to bow yourself to the way they're doing it, and thus you end up being limited if you're doing stuff out of the ordinary.

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:00 pm 
Bibliotherapist

Yeah, I'm not a fan of engines or toolkit environments. However, I do understand the productivity gains that are made by surrendering some of the fine control.

SDL was getting some love on Linux Unplugged this morning, I never really tried it. Maybe that's a good halfway house.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:57 pm 
Digerati

SDL gets a lot of praise by people who use it. I found the api really weird so i never touched it.

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:30 pm 
Fish Doggy

I still use XNA, but I'm crazy. Most people I know have moved over the unity (which uses javascript or C#).

-- Geoff

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:04 pm 
Bibliotherapist

Hey Geoff, good to see you again.

I'm hearing lots about Unity. A colleague who has a Rift devkit is using it, but he's had to stump up a fair bit of cash for licences. :eek I think I prefer the model that Epic are trying with UE4.

On a side note, I'm relearning OpenGL (again!), but getting somewhere this time. It's hard to find decent info on GL4+, so many tuts miss out vital info, or are just plain wrong. I suppose I'll have to update the Wiki once I've got it down.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:08 am 
Ankle Nibbler

I'm really enjoying working in SDL + OpenGL with C++ at the moment. It's powerful and super fast and SDL doesn't get in the way too much. I haven't worked with Unity, but I quite enjoy the coding rather than the content creation anyway. Chaotic Rage is that combo, plus bullet physics, assimp asset loader, spark particles and an old (unmaintained) gui library called guichan.