Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Where I've been...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:46 am 
Harmlessness does no harm

Just in case you guys have been wondering...

(Image removed, as apparently the URL has been recycled, and the image is now of someone completely different!)

This is me from a few days ago, the left side of my face completely paralyzed due to Bell's Palsy. The symptoms first appeared last Sunday afternoon, starting with slight numbness/loss of feeling and sluggish muscle movement on the left side of my face. That half of my face was completely frozen within the next couple of days.

It's been a week now, and I have just today started to regain very slight movement ability. I would say, if I were to hazard a guess, I still have 95%-99% paralysis on that side. I am hoping that, since I've finally begun to regain movement, that things will be mostly cleared up by the end of this week.

On a side note, this is the second time I've been struck with Bell's Palsy (the first bout came about ten years ago). The Ear/Nose/Throat doctor I saw this past Wednesday told me that among Bell's Palsy sufferers, only 5% ever experience a second case. That must mean I'm special! ;)

Post subject: Re: Where I've been...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:17 am 
Digerati

Oh jeez, that sounds highly unfortunate, but apparently it is only of temporary nature? I sure hope so!
Hope you recover soon!

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:54 pm 
Bibliotherapist

Life sure does like testing you Clint. All the best for a speedy recovery and hopefully no more re-occurrences.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:12 pm 

weezl wrote:
Oh jeez, that sounds highly unfortunate, but apparently it is only of temporary nature? I sure hope so!
Hope you recover soon!

Thank you! Yeah, it's usually temporary. It seems I've already started to recover just the slightest bit of movement since yesterday, so hopefully this will clear up in another week or so.

Codehead wrote:
Life sure does like testing you Clint. All the best for a speedy recovery and hopefully no more re-occurrences.

It does seem that way at times. I'll let you guys know how it all goes. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:04 am 
Bit Baby

Wow, never heard of that condition.

Was there any permanent damage by your first case?

Hope everything recovers fully for you soon :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:55 am 

I hadn't heard of it either, until ten years ago when one side of my face started losing sensation and movement. It seemed like I was having a stroke, based on the symptoms. But some of the symptoms just were not there. Based on that, a friend found an article on Bell's Palsy. A trip to the doctor that day confirmed the condition.

As far as permanent damage, there was nothing significant. I may have lost less than 5% of my movement on the left side of my face (my left side doesn't move quite as well as the right, but it's hardly noticeable under most circumstances). It may be different this time, only time will tell.

Oh, and it seems I've started to regain a little bit of movement in my left eyebrow. It's still very slight, but it is progress. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:45 am 
Bit Baby

It's been a few weeks, I'm really curious about this.

How're you doing now, man?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:04 pm 

Oh yeah, forgot to update you guys. X)

The Bell's Palsy cleared up about two weeks ago. The Wednesday of the week it went away, I was finally able to schedule surgery (which I've needed for a few months, but Bell's Palsy came up the week it was originally to be set up, so we had to wait until it went away), and it is set for tomorrow (I'll try and remember to update you guys on how I do this time lol).

The day after my surgery was scheduled, I was admitted into the ER due to heart palpitations (I could feel every heartbeat all over my entire body), shortness of breath, and fatigue. I normally experience all this when I first wake (like right now -- I just woke up roughly 30 minutes ago, and I still feel like I just ran a marathon), so I blew it off as sleep apnea. The surgery I am to have tomorrow HOPEFULLY will allow me to use my biPAP machine again, which helps me go to sleep by keeping my airways open. They tend to collapse on their own, leaving me to go without breathing, which is NOT good for anything.

Anyway, at the ER, I was informed that I had a form of heart arrhythmia that would require a cardiologist to clear me before I could have surgery. If this wasn't bad enough, I was told I would have to remain overnight in the ICU, and I was not allowed to smoke until I was discharged! The following Monday, I was scheduled to see a cardiologist that Wednesday (who told me I demonstrated no signs of the condition mentioned by the ER doctor... more inclined to believe the cardiologist, since our ER doctors are consistently inept), and was given the okay to go on with the operation.

Then, this past Saturday, I got very, very sick... I was fine, until a really powerful nausea came over me, and I ran to the bathroom... and virtually stayed there, alternating ends which both could not be contained, all day long. I was worried I'd caught some bad stomach virus, and with just a short time until my surgery date, the threat of postponement again entered the picture. But, Sunday, around the time of day it struck the day before... it went away, just as suddenly as it came on. Not so much as even flatulence or gagging. I can only assume it was a 24-hour bug that hit me. (It's surprising just how well it timed out, too.)

Always exciting. :rolleyes :lol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:58 am 

Got out of surgery today just before Noon. The procedure went well, no complications. While I am not in any pain (yet), I will be unable to use my biPAP tonight (my doctor wanted me to), due to nasal blockage from large amounts of dried blood. I am unable to blow my nose or apply external pressure to it (doing so could knock things out of place, which would create HUGE problems), and am only able to use saline spray and Afrin decongestant spray to flush things out. It ain't workin'. Hopefully tomorrow things will be better. In the meantime, I was told to sleep upright tonight, so I'll be catching some Z's in my recliner.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:20 pm 
BANNED

I'm literally crying right now. That sounds horrible! I hope it gets better! :(

I have slight Ptosis in my left eye, which I've had noticeably since birth. When I look at my baby pictures I can see a hint of it, but I haven't even recognized it for the first time of my life until early this year. I'm trying to get in contact with an eye doctor right now. I don't think it's something to worry too much about because apparently I've had it since birth. From what you might know, can you agree with that?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:16 am 

I'm not familiar with Ptosis. Perusing Wikipedia, I gather it's droopiness of the eyelid?

If you've had it since birth, and it hasn't gotten any worse over time, I doubt it's anything to worry over. If you've never seen a doctor about it, though, you may want to see one, just to get more information on the risks and possible fixes. If it's suddenly gotten worse this year, then there's certainly less harm in getting it checked out than just ignoring it and pretending it will go away. When it comes to physical health concerns, it's generally a matter of "better safe than sorry."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:17 am 

By the way, check out what happened every time I blew my nose this morning (warning: lots of blood) -- http://imm.io/1hveg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:23 am 
Bibliotherapist

Did he died?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:01 pm 

He's not quite dead.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:08 pm 
BANNED

:O