Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:10 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:44 pm 
BANNED

Quote:
Cyberpunk 2077 reference?

How so? That's just what I think. People don't want to look like freaks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:59 pm 
Dexterous Droid

Pieman wrote:
Quote:
Cyberpunk 2077 reference?

How so? That's just what I think. People don't want to look like freaks.

I thought you were talking about the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer, featuring robot arms and looking sexy :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:59 pm 
BANNED

Quote:
I thought you were talking about the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer, featuring robot arms and looking sexy :)

She is pretty sexy. :D
But the robot arms aren't sexy, they're scary... lol that was my point. People aren't going to attach freaking scythes to their arms. That's what I find unrealistic about the genre. Everybody just turns themselves into freaks. :eek

No, people just wanna look sexy!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:19 pm 
Digerati

Pieman wrote:
I don't think many people will want to add robot arms to themselves, unless they are human-like and look sexy. :D

And yet, this is what is likely going to happen at some point.
There's research in automated limb prothesis both for the disabled, and for military (victims of war etc) uses. Initially (speaking products, not prototypes) they will be unspeakably expensive, and most probably ugly and barely functional. Eventually though, they will improve in durability, weight, strength and appearance, and also in availability (moore's law anyone?). The upsides will outweigh the downsides. Disabled can become overabled (i.e. transhuman), being able to do jobs normals can't do (construction work for instance). They will give you an edge in certain aspects, and people might crave to get that edge (let it be limbs, implants, genetic or biological engineering) in favor to get a job or whatever (this scenario is also mentioned in dxhr and it appears very likely to me).

http://www.ted.com/talks/aimee_mullins_ ... etics.html
She mentions her friends being jealous of her being able to change her height at will. Of course this will not result in her friends amputating their legs to get prothesis, but it is the same notion, just not to that extreme.

Further read: Radical Evolution by Joel Garreau

The cyberpunk genre goes in this direction, and greatly exaggerates it, but it is a fictional genre after all.

Also, cyberpunk 2077 and shadowrun returns coming SOON(ish). Woooh, good days for pc gaming :D

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:20 pm 
Bytewise

pieman wrote:
I don't think anybody realized that I was parodying an attitude that I frequently encounter around game-developers and consider abnormally blatant.

Well, I've been browsing this forum for some time now and found it really nice how this community responded to all (even the most ridiculous) questions and statements, so I might as well :D

IGTHORN wrote:
Wrong! Mass Effect was awesome! Shooting stuff, space, conversation pie. Dammit, it had everything!
Thank you! :D

IGTHORN wrote:
In the context of gaming and AAA gaming in particular, innovative means playing something that doesn't feel like a retexture of a game I've played several times before. Portal feels like an excellent example of something that was unique. But games don't have to re-invent the wheel with every release to impress me. It would just be nice if they mixed and matched a bit at least, instead of taking the same worn out stereotypes and game mechanics and rehashing them.

yes, but there is another thing, thats very close to just "retexture" of a game. With portal, you have been introduced to bunch of game mechanics that were really original and interesting, changing the way you think in a standard First person puzzle game. Another great example might be Anti-chamber btw. This games are not just retextured and enhanced games, they are really original. but then you can have games that just show you some funny gimmicky feature that has no effect on the gameplay, its surely impressive and not a simple "retexture" but its still the same game you had played many times before, but now you can maybe change between two forms, or use some kind of a heat vision to see you enemies, While both features are quite graphically pleasing and quite innovative if never used before, they are still useless for the gameplay itself. that is where the word "innovation" fails to keep up with gaming, lots of ideas can be innovative and original, but that doesn't mean the game is not the same thing all over again.
As an example i would maybe use the game Singularity, which was basically an FPS with a time control element, it looked great, it was fun, it was original, but in reality the time controlling mechanic was just a gimmick, you used it like twice in the whole game to actually affect the gameplay, for the rest it was unnecessary, mostly to cover up that its yet another monster killing FPS.

pieman wrote:
No, people just wanna look sexy!

I agree, no matter what the usability of things are, unless you are helpless without it, you won't use it if its not looking good enough. :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:51 pm 
Dexterous Droid

weezl wrote:
Pieman wrote:
I don't think many people will want to add robot arms to themselves, unless they are human-like and look sexy. :D

And yet, this is what is likely going to happen at some point.
There's research in automated limb prothesis both for the disabled, and for military (victims of war etc) uses. Initially (speaking products, not prototypes) they will be unspeakably expensive, and most probably ugly and barely functional. Eventually though, they will improve in durability, weight, strength and appearance, and also in availability (moore's law anyone?). The upsides will outweigh the downsides. Disabled can become overabled (i.e. transhuman), being able to do jobs normals can't do (construction work for instance). They will give you an edge in certain aspects, and people might crave to get that edge (let it be limbs, implants, genetic or biological engineering) in favor to get a job or whatever (this scenario is also mentioned in dxhr and it appears very likely to me).

Yeah, this concept is very interesting and it looks like the original Cyberpunk game explored it. My understanding is that those arm-scythe things from the Cyberpunk 2077 video are retractable (I think they're called rippers). They're basically a concealed, built-in weapon. Then you have cyberpsychosis being the idea that having a shotgun imbedded in your arm decreases your humanity - as you feel more powerful and superior to the unaugmented humans.

Quote:
Anti-chamber

Yeah, this blew my mind. Really awesome concept.

Hazarth wrote:
some funny gimmicky feature that has no effect on the gameplay, its surely impressive and not a simple "retexture" but its still the same game you had played many times before, but now you can maybe change between two forms, or use some kind of a heat vision to see you enemies, While both features are quite graphically pleasing and quite innovative if never used before, they are still useless for the gameplay itself. that is where the word "innovation" fails to keep up with gaming, lots of ideas can be innovative and original, but that doesn't mean the game is not the same thing all over again.
As an example i would maybe use the game Singularity, which was basically an FPS with a time control element, it looked great, it was fun, it was original, but in reality the time controlling mechanic was just a gimmick, you used it like twice in the whole game to actually affect the gameplay, for the rest it was unnecessary, mostly to cover up that its yet another monster killing FPS.

This is a good point. Simply having an original mechanic or story doesn't make a good game. Especially when it's a gimmick that disguises an otherwise cookie-cutter experience. Creating a compelling and well-integrated game that has its own unique feel requires that skilled and creative people be allowed to actually practice their craft rather than forming part of an assembly line churning out Zombie Ops 8. But then we swing back around to the problem of getting publisher funding, etc.