Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:51 am 
BANNED

Is delete[] for objects without destructors like freeing a contiguous block of memory from the heap?

e.g.
Code:
float* meh = new float [19];
delete [] meh;

in comparison to

Code:
float* meh = (float*)malloc(4*19);
free(meh);

?

I guess I could just use the assembly-output compiler option and look at that...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:54 pm 
Gamer Geek

I know the first example clears the memory from the heap and I suppose the second one does the same.
Destructors I believe is useful if you create objects on the heap inside the class.

BTW reason I'm not posting lately is bc of the massive amount of assignments we're getting.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:48 pm 
Dexterous Droid

Pieman wrote:
Is delete[] for objects without destructors like freeing a contiguous block of memory from the heap?

e.g.
Code:
float* meh = new float [19];
delete [] meh;

in comparison to

Code:
float* meh = (float*)malloc(4*19);
free(meh);

?

I guess I could just use the assembly-output compiler option and look at that...

I'd imagine they boil down to the same thing after optimization. My gut tells me that delete [] would free each individual element of the array. But compiler optimizations would probably be smart enough to just free the whole block if there's no destructor method.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:31 am 
BANNED

Thanks for the thoughts. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:53 am 
Grand Optimizer

IGTHORN wrote:
My gut tells me that delete [] would free each individual element of the array. But compiler optimizations would probably be smart enough to just free the whole block if there's no destructor method.
The C++ manual states that objects created with new[] should also get deleted together with delete[]. You gut feeling would be one valid implementation internally, but it is incorrect to make such assumptions.

I don't know what the new[] and delete[] operators do in this case, it may be useful to have a look at its API.

To be honest, I don't understand the reason of the question of the OP. Using free versus delete is a consequence of using malloc versus new during construction. Compared to the effort of doing memory administration in the first place, I don't think the difference is measurable in the case of not having destructors. If it is measurable, you must be doing a lot of memory operations, and you may want to consider using a cheaper solution, eg use a pool of free objects or so.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:51 pm 
BANNED

Yeah, I decided to not worry about it. Logically, an array allocated with new[] and remembered with a pointer must be a contiguous allocated block, so it doesn't make sense for numerous free actions to occur -- or does it? If you use the native WinAPI heap management functions, is it possible to handle allocations in more complex ways? The answer to this side-question is not very important for my needs, but I'm just curious about the real mechanics of heap management. Don't even mind, I can look it up for myself.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:50 pm 
Grand Optimizer

Managing dynamic memory is a research area, think of the innovations that Java introduced in this area.
Even for C++, exotic things as garbage collectors exist :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:57 pm 
BANNED

Quote:
think of the innovations that Java introduced in this area.

lol, I was just curious about whether it's possible to split an allocation into multiple blocks and free/manipulate the new partitions using WinAPI.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx
I don't have time to look into this stuff, at the moment.