I have no idea what 0xc000007b means, but it looks like a crash error.
Did you try some simple experiments, like linking but not using, only initializing (return values are ok?), using sdl but not sdl_ttf, and vice versa and so on?
Does adding a debug print statement work, or can you run it in the debugger?
Perhaps you can find out where in the execution it fails.
I have tried stuff like that, I found the most I can do is link it, use sdl_tff, #include "sdl_ttf.h", but the error only occurs when I include TTF_Init().
Did you build SDL_ttf yourself or just download the binary? Visual Studio is very picky about libs, make sure that both libSDL and libSDL_ttf are compiled for your version of Visual studio and were using the same linking options (multithreaded-dll should work). Also make sure that you are using all 64bit or all 32bit dlls and are compiling your program as such. If you are sure of those things then try to narrow your program down (or make a new one) with the simplest code that makes it crash.
I downloaded the binary, how would I check if they are compiled for my version of visual studio?
I'm sure I copied across the 32bit dll's, however I'm not too sure they actually are 32bit. I used dependency walker on the .exe thats compiled, and get these errors:
Error: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in an implicitly dependent module.
Error: Modules with different CPU types were found.
Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.
Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.
And in the list, there are 2 64bit dll's while all the rest are 32bit. However, these are dll's that I don't think I'm referencing, they're MSVCR90.DLL and ZLIB1.DLL. It also complains that GPSVC.DLL and IESHIMS.DLL are missing. I haven't seen these before, and they weren't in the download for the SDL_ttf.