Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:10 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:07 pm 
Novice

Hello all!

I am a voice actress and am looking for work! Here is my website: http://www.tamararyanvo.com/

I also have a question that I'd love to get some feedback on regarding rates. If you saw this rate card on my website, what would be your thoughts? (Note: the per minutes refers to finished recorded audio, not the amount of time the actor spends in the booth)

Console Games, iPhone Games, iPad Games, Android Games

Per minute 100

00 to 05 minutes100-250

06 to 15 minutes250-500

16 to 30 minutes500-750

31 to 45 minutes750-1000

46 to 60 minutes1000-2500

If you think it's too much, what would you expect to pay somebody for voice over? Thanks!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:54 pm 
Digerati

Hey Tamara, welcome to the forums.

I don't have a lot of experience with voice artists, specifically with their wages. But what you propose sounds reasonable to me for professional work, which, judging by your samples, yours seem to be.

However, most smaller/indie teams will probably not be able to afford prices like that, so you might want to consider a case by case negotiation instead of fixed rates.

I'm not sure if i'd put the rates on my site actually, but that's entirely your call :)

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:05 am 
Novice

Thanks for the response and the kind words!

Right now I am advertising my website on Indiegamemag.com and notice a good amount of traffic to my site. However, nobody is contacting me about rates.

I was thinking about it, and when I am loking for a service, I want to know prices up front. In my mind, if I have to contact you for your rates, it's probably too expensive. So I thought in order to encourage developers to contact me, I should post my rates up front. However, I also don't want to scare away indie developers, especially since I'm willing to work within their budget.

So yeah, I guess I'm just trying to gauge what to do.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:05 am 
Digerati

If youre trying to appeal to indie devs, you might consider some sort of special offer, since most are working off their own spare time/no budget at all in a lot of cases.

I dont really have an idea for what you could go for, but maybe you can come up with something that would spark interest in developers. Maybe check where indie games use voice actors, or where you find a lack of voice acting where youd like to see it, and design your rates on that.

Maybe you can come up with something that will be more appealing than a payment table :spin

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:38 pm 
Novice

hmm, like a special rate for Kickstarter trailers or something? I like it. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:49 pm 
Bibliotherapist

Hi Tamara, Welcome to GPWiki.

I have no idea how much you should charge, but just wanted to say that I was really impressed by your work. :yeah The samples on your site are very cool and much better than I expected them to be. Good luck in your endeavours.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:03 pm 
Novice

Hi Codehead,
Thanks so much for your kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed my work. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:18 am 
Grand Optimizer

Hi,

I am not looking for spoken words currently, but you made me aware of existence of such options, which in itself is already useful.
Thank you.

As for you getting work, to be honest, I have no clue what your rates mean. I am perhaps not your audience, I never considered sound and timing of it at all. I am a single developer, making games in my spare time, and give it away for free, so no money here I am afraid :)

I understand that 1 minute is 1 minute of spoken words, in game. But what can you say in 1 minute, as in how many words are that?

For example, does "You won!" and "Oh my god, you lost the game! How did you manage that??" fit in 1 minute? Does a briefing of 5 lines text cost a minute? I don't need the answer, but there is a conversion from words on paper to spoken words in time. Some form of indicating (eg "20 words briefing style is about a minute") would be helpful to me, at least. I understand words on paper. I don't understand timing of spoken language.

A second consideration is all the stuff around it. If I had to add spoken words to my game, I'd have to start with deciding what should be said. Is telling 5 lines of briefing wise? If not, what should be done instead? some background music or noise? Spoken words, with highlights about the mission? "We go to point tango alpha, wait for re-inforcements, and proceed to point beta, and hit those roller coasters head on!"
So many design decisions to make in an area I have no clue about.

Out comes a list of lines of text to be said. I'll ignore the problem of intonation and putting emotion into the words, under the assumption you've covered that in some way.

I give that to you, and you give me audio files? File format? You handle the studio/recording? Audio is ready to put into the game, does it need editing?

No doubt you can see I am a noob in your area, but depending on the kind of audience you want to target, their problem may be much more complicated than "give me text + money, I'll give you audio at 100/minute". Looking at my problem, if I had some money that I'd want to spend on this, I'd find someone in user interaction design. Much much later, you arrive. If you extend your services towards advising how to organize things, and what to say and what not to say (literally), you'd be more useful to me. It may be however that you are too costly then :(

I don't know how indie developers do this stuff. If it's a bunch of programmers, they'll likely have a similar problem. If they have a user interface / level designer person (much closer to your area of expertise), they probably have some of my above overall problems covered/solved and are much closer to "get it done" rather than my "what must be done here?". That would suggest you should try to reach those persons instead. A "game programmers forum" may not be the best medium :)

Oh, and after 30 minutes writing this, I also wonder what your "100" means :)
You're speaking to an international audience, so you may want to add some notion of currency to that number. You should probably also state the language that you speak, and perhaps other considerations like the physical area you work.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:37 am 
Novice

Hi Alberth,

Thanks so much for your feedback. It was really insightful and actually has inspired me to possibly start on a new project. As you say, most likely a lot of other indie developers are in the same boat as you when it comes to voice over for their games. Would you be interested in a podcast or youtube series specifically aimed at informing developers about the ins and outs of hiring and working with voice talent?

To answer your questions:
Quote:
For example, does "You won!" and "Oh my god, you lost the game! How did you manage that??" fit in 1 minute? Does a briefing of 5 lines text cost a minute? I don't need the answer, but there is a conversion from words on paper to spoken words in time. Some form of indicating (eg "20 words briefing style is about a minute") would be helpful to me, at least. I understand words on paper. I don't understand timing of spoken language.

Don't worry, I actually don't fully understand the conversion from words to spoken time either. I actually end up using this nifty tool quite often to help me: http://www.edgestudio.com/production/wo ... calculator
I just paste in the script, tell them if I'm speaking slowly, average, or quickly, and it will spit out an answer. Really handy! I imagine this would also be valuable for people hiring voice talent so they can get a sort of heads up about how much time will actually go into recording a script. Although, editing adds on to that time. Which brings me to the next question...

Quote:
I give that to you, and you give me audio files? File format? You handle the studio/recording? Audio is ready to put into the game, does it need editing?

This actually will vary from talent to talent. I can tell you a good 85%-90% of talent you will come across for indie games will have their own home studio. Going into a local studio costs extra money and only developers with bigger budgets will consider them. (Although, even companies with bigger budgets prefer you have a nice home studio so they can cut down their costs) Almost all talent I know will do SOME editing on their part. Taking out large weird breaths or deleting bad takes. I tend to go a bit further by making sure my audio will be at a "normalized" volume and also doing a noise removal to ensure that my recording comes out sounding as high quality as possible. If you need the talent to go further, by adding their own music and sound effects however, then you are adding on the job of sound design.

Quote:
If you extend your services towards advising how to organize things, and what to say and what not to say (literally), you'd be more useful to me. It may be however that you are too costly then :(

Perhaps this is where a podcast/youtube series might come in handy?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:10 am 
Digerati

I'd think a youtube series would be awesomely helpful.
Showing off your studio, how you work, how you process a job from initial contact to finish and all the steps you can/will take to make sure you get to the goal the contracter desires. This would be things i'd personally be interested in seeing.
Since you're a voice actress you could even give it a nice dub, announcer/narrator like, or such (even maybe a joke dub :P ). although personally spoken is always more friendly to look at/listen to.
Keep us posted on what you decide on :D

wzl's burrow