Ok. So, we need to figure out a few things here.
Things we know (decided in IRC and forums):
- The task force reports directly to a small congressional committee, that committee and the president are the only thing that keep a check on their activities.
- The task force's leader is an Egokineticist, and controls/influences both the committee and the president.
- The task force has a major base in what was formerly known as Nellis Airforce Base (I say formerly, because it's no longer Airforce, but task force)
- Project Oracle is the name of the operation to analyze the Perception Crash (the "event") to better understand what is happened and why, what is going on, and what is this leading to, and what will happen as the Perception Crash continues
- Project Philadelphia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_experiment
( note that we will not entirely follow the alleged specifics of the "real" Philadelphia conspiracy entirely, we will make some up) ) was an earlier technology that took advantage of higher dimensional technology, and it was the first to "prove" the existence of these higher dimensions in the 1940s.
- Project Montauk ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montauk_Project
( note that we will not entirely follow the alleged specifics of the "real" Montauk conspiracy entirely, we will make some up) ), was a 1980s experiment in cross dimensional travel, leading to some of the earliest examples of physic abilities, and some beings from other worlds
- Project Charon was the name of a government experiment in travel through higher dimensions that took place some time in the 2020s through the 2030s.
Things we need to know:
- What are we going to call the task force? Proposed names include Aegis and Mjolnir, among other things. I prefer an abbreviation that is pronounceable.
- What are names of important people related to the task force?
- What is the name of the Congressional Committee?
- What are the classification levels within the task force?
- The specifics of other things
Personally, I don't think that any of the 3 government cross-dimensional experiments should be shown to be very successful, as cross-dimensional travel would be annoying. There should however be reports of people gaining odd psionic powers, being able to inanimate probes into the other dimension, but then being unable to bring them back, perhaps a human test subject who was sent through in the 2020s and reappears years later with no explanation, people who were attempted to be sent through, but only a limb disappeared, etc.. Perhaps an interesting plot idea would be that these experiments inadvertantly caused the Perception Crash?