Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Site Refresh
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:39 pm 
Bibliotherapist

Joomla up for comparison.

http://www.gpwiki.org/joomla/

Same deal, sign up, poke around find out which one you prefer. Let me know if you break anything.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:11 pm 
Digerati

Jup both replies arrived correctly. From a first glance drupal seemed more inviting. i'll evaluate them in the next days.

edit:
cannot login to the joomla administrator area yet.

I made a test article on drupal. It appears to be fairly simplistic from a formatting perspective. No embeds apart from a header image it seems.

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:14 am 
Ankle Nibbler

Wordpress? One review per post?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:40 am 
Bibliotherapist

I've upped you to Admin on Joomla too Weezl.

If you guys want Wordpress install to play with, I can sort that fairly quickly. WP has nice auto update features and will probably be easier to integrate with the forum authentication.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:05 am 
Digerati

Ah thanks Codehead,
I've been playing around a bit with it, and it seems you can add a bunch of modules to it. I cannot figure out how to utilize them though :x

I installed a youtube module for testing, but it doesn't seem accessible right off the bat from the editor. I might need to read into it some more.

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:48 am 
Level 22 Norse Warrior-Librarian

I made an account on Drupal, but just barely; the system seems to be kind of wigging out :\ I get an error page often when I try to access the user section of it.

Would it be possible for me be an admin on it, too?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:17 am 
Bibliotherapist

You were 'blocked' whatever that means. :confused I've unblocked and bestowed the hat of admin power onto you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:22 pm 

Cool, thanks :) I'll try to work on the site soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:06 pm 

I'm not really sure what's going on, but any time I try to do things, it works for a few minutes, then dies for several minutes (with the nginx error page), then works again.

I could log into the admin account, though, thank you :)

If you'd like me to take a look at things on the server end, just let me know, or if you could post the error logs here I might be able to help, too, although I'm not particularly familiar with nginx.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:28 pm 

Okay, so I went ahead and messed around with things for awhile. There now a new "Review" content type that has some fields added to it. The fields currently are these:

• Title
  • Rating (out of 5 stars)
  • Things you liked (about the game)
  • Things you didn't like (about the game)
  • Thumbnail representing the game
  • Body

There's a sample review up here: http://www.gpwiki.org/drupal/?q=node/2# ... q%3Dnode/2. I also installed a new theme and made Endian the logo and favicon for the site (which kind of broke the header :O) Since we're just testing things, I also made it so that anyone can register an account and make reviews, although they can't change administrative settings, which I hope is alright with everyone.

Codehead, would it be possible to install Mod_Rewrite, if it's not already installed? If we can, then we should be able to have clean URLs like http://www.gpwiki.org/drupal/reviews/review, instead of http://www.gpwiki.org/drupal/?q=reviews/review.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:54 am 
Digerati

Cool!
Not a fan of ratings/scores though. Might as well get rid of the review part then :P
Been quite busy as of late so i didnt get around playing with the stuff ;/

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:00 am 
Bytewise

Amazing :) it's great!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:13 pm 

Thanks, guys :)

weezl, I guess that's a fair point XD Still, I think that in some cases an overall rating could be useful, especially if there are multiple reviews for a game.

As far as organization for the site goes, what do people think? Would it make sense to have it so that there could be multiple reviews for a game, or would that be weird? I guess I was originally thinking that perhaps we could have it so that the main review page just had all of the reviews in a list, with a thumbnail on the left and the name of the person who had written the review (so there could be multiple reviews for a game, but they wouldn't necessarily be linked to each other).

Alternatively, we could have a more full-fledged system where people can post an announcement about a game and it would make a game in the system. People could then post reviews on that game, and it would be linked with the game. I seem to remember that maybe we were talking about having game announcements be elsewhere than the forums at some point, but I'm not sure about that, and even if we were, I can't remember if we decided anything.

Also, do we want people to be able to comment on the reviews, and if so, should we handle that through the forum, or through a comment system on the review page?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:11 pm 
Digerati

Multiple reviews, sure why not. i don't see how multiple opinions are bad.

I don't think we need to create a game database of sorts. Having reviews and announcements on the blog will be good enough imo. That would introduce too much setup and maintenance anyways.

For comments i'd prefer it to have a post link to the according forum thread (which would be automatically generated). Otherwise it might lure even more people away from the forums. I'm all for integrating it more.

And on the slightly off-topic subject of ratings:
Especially with multiple reviews i think it skews the view on a game even more. It is, after all, an arbitrary number without any relevancy, and therefore mostly subjective. I'm not a fan of it as it cannot be a legit measure. :confused

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:38 pm 
Bibliotherapist

Nice work. :yeah

wyrmmage wrote:
Codehead, would it be possible to install Mod_Rewrite, if it's not already installed? If we can, then we should be able to have clean URLs like http://www.gpwiki.org/drupal/reviews/review, instead of http://www.gpwiki.org/drupal/?q=reviews/review.

The web server isn't Apache, it's Nginx. There is a way of doing pretty URLs because I did it for the Wiki, but I don't remember how off the top of my head. Will look into it.

BTW, the current location was only intended to be a placeholder, I had intended to use a subdomain like cms.gpwiki.org or something if we set things up properly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:39 pm 
Bytewise

weezl wrote:
Especially with multiple reviews i think it skews the view on a game even more. It is, after all, an arbitrary number without any relevancy, and therefore mostly subjective. I'm not a fan of it as it cannot be a legit measure. :confused

What about a LudumDare like rating system? eg. rating graphics, story, audio etc. all seperately? The overall rating is really vague but if you split what you think about the game into categories one might be able to rate it more objectively?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:57 am 

Okay, I've created a new content type for announcements. I've tried to make it so that non-administrators can create announcements, but I'm not sure if it worked. To try to create an announcement, just go to http://www.gpwiki.org/drupal/?q=node/add. Unfortunately, the site already got flooded by spam :(, so I've turned off uninhibited full user registration; you'll now have to get approved after creating an account. much like before; sorry.

If someone could try to create an account, that hasn't already, and try to make some content to see if it works for them, that would be great :) I'm still working on some things, like having a better way of selecting which platforms a game will run on, or making it so that announcements go through moderator approval before being posted, but hopefully the basics will work :)

Please let me know what you all think, and what suggestions there are.

Also, what kind of theme are we thinking of doing? I think it could be nice to have a somewhat-consistent theme across the forum, wiki, and Drupal site, but I don't know; what do you guys think?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:05 am 
Digerati

Hazarth wrote:
weezl wrote:

What about a LudumDare like rating system? eg. rating graphics, story, audio etc. all seperately? The overall rating is really vague but if you split what you think about the game into categories one might be able to rate it more objectively?

More offtopic spree (sorry bout that :P)

Yeah they use category ratings which is a tad better, but it has major flaws as well. A lot of the community is grieving about it:
Not all games qualify (or need to qualify) in each or every category. Additionally it is not as black and white as it might look from the outside. Take "Graphics" for example. Is it for technical excellency (high poly models, good animations, good use of shaders) or is it from an aesthetics point of view? (i.e. the game just looks good in the way it's been made, regardless of which methods were used creating it, let it be simple stickmen or minimalist pixels like say thomas was alone). How many categories do you want to introduce until it because vaguely fair, and when does the reader stop caring? If you want to make a certain point about its graphical style, write about it. It will be a hundred times more accurate and descriptive than any amount of points in any category.
Thats the point of reviews, isnt it. Play a game, find its strength and weaknesses, and write about it in a mostly objective but also compelling way. Educate the reader about the game while at the same time entertaining them.

If you want to continue this debate, please create another thread for it. I'll gladly join the discussion but lets not derail this thread.

Wyrm: thanks for your effort on this!
I think we decided for a 2 tier sign up for reviews in another thread aswell. One where your posts need to be authorized in order to be publicly visible, and one where you can just post them directly once you've proven trustworthy.

Theme, yes. That's a tough one. I've been juggling around with a few css styles in the past, nothing that satisfied me or anyone else though. We certainly lack a designer who has a good hand for that kinda stuff. Designs should be consistent throughout the site (which it currently is, but its also bland and default theme-y).

I think in terms of color scheme/palette something like i mentioned in the other thread would work well and set us apart a little from the competition, while still being playful and enjoyable to read (sorta lucas arts palette, with purple lightblue and gold) eventhough the actual css didnt turn out quite as well
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12328&start=40#p148107

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:14 pm 
Bytewise

wyrmmage, I created an account and I'm currently waiting for approval but what I wanted to say is that Gmail threw that email into the spam folder. O_o just a heads-up that it does happen with gmail.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:15 am 

You should be good to go now, Hazarth. Thank you for testing things out :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next