Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:17 am 
Digerati

Ok, ladies and gentlemen.

I thought i might aswell kick off the discussion about a possible review section. Feel free to contribute in any way, be it ideas or concerns.

Prerequisites:
From a technical side we need to come to a conclusion what CMS to use, or if any at all.
We need people who research/write about games, tools and game related sites perhaps.
Might be a good idea to bring the news section into there aswell, and think about actually writing some longer articles aswell, if people would like to do that.
We probably need to redesign the homepage a little to accomodate for the new section.
If we open the article section for everyone to write in, we possibly need to deal with spam and perhaps even self-reviews (not perse a bad thing, but we need to check if there's actually truth being told).

Format:
Since those would be reviews or first impressions perhaps, people need to buy and play games, aswell as having certain skills to be able to determine if the game is any good.
Articles should contain at least one screenshot, and if available a trailer/teaser/gameplay movie.
I strongly advise against a rating system. It does a horrible job of determining a games worth, and is probably even biased towards the author.

What to review:
I don't think there needs to be much of a guideline here. If you find a work-in-progress game on another platform you can write about it. New releases of indie games (no matter the platform/price), new tools or version upgrades which might be useful for people, or whatever else you find will be interesting for people.

Lastly:
Who else is doing what we're aiming for at this point? Is there any competition? What do they do, and how are they doing it? Can we add to what they do, or are we 'just doing the same'?

Right now i can only come up with the professional games journalism sites, who mostly have a different target audience aswell as a different goal.

Offer your thoughts and lets see if this is something gpwiki can do to be revitalized :spin

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:16 am 
Bytewise

I wanted to get into game reviews for quite some time now, so I'm sure to contribute :)

Prerequisites:
If I take this as a vote, I would say: Yes, let's use a CMS (mostly for productivity porpuses)
But in the end we don't really need one just yet to see if this thing is going to work at all... But then it would be probably much harder implementing a CMS into an existing system and we might as well just make it work right away so... I'm for CMS

Maybe we could use out programming background for the reviews... like "Why is this game missing individual sliders if it isn't that hard to make and this game works with a lot of sounds!" or something? I mean, maybe we can assign some arbitrary values to the games other then just "first feels" ?

News section would be a good idea, it could easily even contain monthly/yearly updates about what games are about to come out and what new technologies were used recently. This might make this site even more valuable then just reviews as long as it keeps updates (I mean.. look at the gamedev site, last update 2 months ago.... nobody is going to wait 2 month for an update, wee need something at least monthly, if possible even weekly?)

controling self-reviews might be a little bit tricky. Even the admins wont be able to tell if it's a self-reviews if the user uses a nickname... Thats why I think there should be some kind of an activity system, so only actual active members can write review... this would discourage game developers to commit months of posting just to self-review a game.

As for the Format:
I think each review should contain at least 3 screen shots. Thats Main menu and/or Options menu , 2x Gameplay (if possible avoid spoilers)
If we allow One screenshot, it might as well be a screenshot of the menu and that would tell nothing about the game by it self. I've seen that alot. In the end screenshots are what hooks you to even read the review in the first place (at least in my case)

ofc those reviews should be as objective as possible. Even if I don't like playing let's say fast paced FPS shooters, I'll should still be able to look at stuff it did well in comparison to other shooters i know (this is obviously unmonitorable, I'm just throwing it out there)

I'm okay with the 1 screenshot thing as long as a video showing the gameplay is present.

Yes, rating system are just horrible. instead we should just always include a conclusions section or pros&cons.

What to review:
What weezl already said, the more interesting stuff we can find the better. not limiting this to games ofc.

Lastly:
Well yes, professional journalists are pretty much our biggest competition when it comes to games, but not for tools and possibly technologies or updated games. They also use a 5 star or 10/10 system which makes the whole review kind of arbitrary in the end. This being a user based community should provide maybe less professional but much more honest and detailed reviews because there is no real set of moderators or Autors who write these reviews, instead anyone can write one and only the result is monitored! This also makes it a perfect place for people who want to get into game journalism but they don't know how or if they are good enough! So we might also just get few people doing this for references :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:32 pm 
Bibliotherapist

I don't play enough games to really contribute in terms of content. However, I'll support you guys from the technical angle. I'll watch the thread, let me know what you need and I'll do my best to provide it.

Standing up Joomla, Drupla or whatever shouldn't be a problem if you want to just poke around and see what the packages can do. It'd be nice if we kept the SSO so that only one login is required.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:48 am 
Level 22 Norse Warrior-Librarian

Okay, so, since this seems to be dying... who's interested in writing our first review? :) I think that if we had at least one review to start with, it would help iron out things, and we'd probably find some bugs and things we wanted to change as we go. As it stands, the backend still needs some work, but hopefully it's working well enough that one could write a review with it, and if it's not... well, just let me know so that I can try to fix it :)

If you don't have an account with permissions to write a review and you'd like one, please let me know, too.