Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:23 pm 
Prolific Poster

Hello!

Since I and my friend are going to start our first mutual project, we need some kind of online svn. We're not into it at all, so i'm asking you for help. Do you know any online SVN we could use for our project? I would be nice if code would not be visible for public, but not necessary. We'll use Eclipse IDE.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:59 pm 
Grand Optimizer

Some big ones are sourceforge, googlecode, github, and bitbucket.
The first one probably has subversion (don't know), the second one definitely has subversion (I use it), it also has a few other ones), the third one only has git (they claim to also support mercurial, but it's not good, especially if you're not used to it), and the fourth one has mercurial (and maybe other ones too).

The free versions usually mean your code is public, and they usually have some other limitations. Often they also have a paid variant with different limits.

Subversion it the easiest to get into, but it only works for people that have commit access. The central server keeps all history, and you only have a working copy. Mercurial and git are distributed systems, where each person has a full copy of the history. You also don' really need a central point, although it's often useful to have one. Mercurial is more oriented at the end user, git is more technically oriented.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:11 pm 
Dexterous Droid

I really like using git. Both bitbucket and assembla will allow you to host a private repository (don't need to make your code public). For Windows, there's a program called GitExtensions that is a front end for git and works really nicely. The install brings putty and kdiff3 along so you get a feature complete package for your revision control needs.

Eclipse has a lot of nice plug-ins, and I use a perforce plug-in at work. I've seen similar things for git so you should be set there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:13 pm 
Prolific Poster

thanks, gonna check those out

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:07 am 
Rookie

If you're not deadset on SVN (And I don't think you are, since you just started), I think it would be worth your while to learn GIT.

Use Github or bitbucket. They'll host open repositories for free, or private ones for a small fee.

If you're doing windows dev, I'd look into something like TortoiseGit. Makes my life easier, although I'll admit my CLS skills have rusted as a result!

Although Subversion is my first love, and I do like the commit hooks and stuff, I think Github is better for ease of setup.