Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: X-com Like game art
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:07 pm 
Rookie

I've been working for years on designing a game similar to the x-com series. not a clone or anything, but a Solid creative game that has no link except the game play is similar. Too lately most games need to move the game on with in between missions (Even the new x-com has his flaw) I like the idea of letting the players work up to their pace.

Now that I've got that out of my system. here is the real point. I have a solid game designed, except the artwork (which i have no way of doing) i cant really move on till i have that worked out. what is the best way of going about trying to get help from artist so i don't have to pay them till i can get money coming in from my game?

Post subject: Re: X-com Like game art
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:02 am 
BANNED

Quote:
Now that I've got that out of my system. here is the real point. I have a solid game designed, except the artwork (which i have no way of doing) i cant really move on till i have that worked out. what is the best way of going about trying to get help from artist so i don't have to pay them till i can get money coming in from my game?

Polish your writing a little bit more and bring a compelling case for your idea. Don't sell it too well or you might find yourself at a significant crisis of technical ineptness. Then you'll need to break the disappointing news to your friendly, caring, patient collaborator for over-hyping your own competence and condemning their hard work to time well wasted.

Until then, use placeholder artwork while you program your game.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:31 pm 
Bibliotherapist

Excuse the bluntness of our resident cynic. However, he's right in some respects. Placeholder art sucks, but will allow you to get on with rest of the game until you find an artist.

Do you have some links to demos or proof of concept stuff that might spark someone's interest?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:37 pm 
BANNED

Quote:
Excuse the bluntness of our resident cynic.

HES TALKING ABOUT ME. :spin
ME ME ME ME!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:59 pm 
Rookie

Not at this moment. I have most of the game design written out and i'm trying to tweak the program since its all based right now on text...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:40 pm 
BANNED

Quote:
Not at this moment. I have most of the game design written out and i'm trying to tweak the program since its all based right now on text...

You say X-com like game art. I don't know what that actually looks like. What kind of graphics do you want? Sprite based?