Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:01 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:37 pm 
BANNED

Note: Please scroll down to find additional Game Design theory related material below! Due to spam-counter measures, there is a URL-per-post limit.

Please share any other particularly interesting material related to game design that you know about! :thumbs

Last edited by Pieman on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:01 pm 
Dexterous Droid

The articles by Thomas Grip are really interesting.

The level design examples seemed pretty obvious. The book might be valuable to give a person some starting points to question level design choices in the games they play and design; but the only way to develop aesthetic sensitivity is by observation. Artistic expression makes use of a well-developed intuition rather than rational process.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:50 am 
BANNED

Quote:
The book might be valuable to give a person some starting points to question level design choices in the games they play and design; but the only way to develop aesthetic sensitivity is by observation. Artistic expression makes use of a well-developed intuition rather than rational process.

Yes, that's exactly what it's for. These first starting points are more necessary than you would think. A solid basis can often be the most critical piece to learning. It's like a gate, almost as if you're either clueless -- without any idea where the key is (left to wonder for who knows how long) -- or you can be handed the key and literally familiarize yourself with the core principles over night. I've seen a lot of bad level design in indie (small project) games, and these few tips would certainly help.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:09 am 
BANNED

Bump:

- Graphics vs. Aesthetics
- Is Linearity so bad?
- A bit out of context: Classroom Game Design

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:07 pm 
Dexterous Droid

The Extra Credits videos are almost all worth watching, they have good content. The Graphics vs. Aesthetics point is well made, it seems games have been missing the mark on this score for the last few years. We're starting to see a re-focussing on aesthetics though, which may have been encouraged by the success of indie games.

Nice links :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:05 pm 
BANNED

You're welcome. ;)

Care to share anything you know yourself? If you don't know any where good to link, the word of your mouth would be fine. Even short blabbers, rants, lessons learned etc. Any thoughts on game design? :D

Aesthetics are one of the most interesting and difficult aspects of game design to nail right (*do exceptionally well). I think they're a powerful quality which, indeed, many new games have lost. I find it a shame that many famous franchises have lost this *sacred* quality since their sequels, even after debuting with amazing original titles that had a great aesthetic foundation. I speculate this nature may be due to new creative-team hires being given jobs to enrich/extend old ideas and concepts which they can not or do not foster correctly. :P

<off-topic remark: Wow I use emoticons a lot, but they're fun.>

New link:
Sequelitis: Mega Man Classic vs. Mega Man X (Regards level design, has similar points to "The Game Maker's Apprentice")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:07 pm 
Dexterous Droid

That Sequelitis episode was awesome. It's very cool that the game teaches you how to play it just by pacing everything cleverly. Super Meat Boy had similar design goals in mind and I also found World of Goo ramped up very nicely. Even Lucky's Professor Fizzwhizzle did this really nicely, introducing concepts as you go. In the more mainstream line, Portal is an excellent example. Those initial levels taught mechanics so beautifully and then later levels explored a multitude of interesting applications of what you had learned. It's a far superior approach to some of the sad "puzzle" elements that some other games have exhibited.

I don't have anything to really add to what you've put so far. I had a look through my bookmarks but it seems I haven't bookmarked the interesting pages I've seen. Off the top of my head, I remember the Diablo 2 postmortem on gamasutra being interesting. It's probably a bit dated now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:21 am 
Digerati

Sequilitis is awesome. Egoraptor is currently working on an episode for zelda, so keep a lookout for that :D

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:43 am 
BANNED

Thanks IGTHORN for your link. :)

Here's another awesome resource I found (because everything I do is awesome), it's about balance this time:

Design in Detail: Changing The Time Between Shots For The Sniper Rifle From 0.5 Seconds to 0.7 Seconds For Halo 3
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1012211/Design-in-Detail-Changing-the

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:41 pm 
BANNED

Level Design -- The Metrics of Space: Molecule Design
http://gamasutra.com/view/feature/184783/the_metrics_of_space_molecule_.php

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:53 pm 
BANNED

*bump*
Now I'm also collecting nice thoughts on game design. Feel free to share your own ideas, or rant about anything game-design wise. :)

Here's to start:
IGTHORN wrote:
Hazarth wrote:
some funny gimmicky feature that has no effect on the gameplay, its surely impressive and not a simple "retexture" but its still the same game you had played many times before, but now you can maybe change between two forms, or use some kind of a heat vision to see you enemies, While both features are quite graphically pleasing and quite innovative if never used before, they are still useless for the gameplay itself. that is where the word "innovation" fails to keep up with gaming, lots of ideas can be innovative and original, but that doesn't mean the game is not the same thing all over again.
As an example i would maybe use the game Singularity, which was basically an FPS with a time control element, it looked great, it was fun, it was original, but in reality the time controlling mechanic was just a gimmick, you used it like twice in the whole game to actually affect the gameplay, for the rest it was unnecessary, mostly to cover up that its yet another monster killing FPS.

This is a good point. Simply having an original mechanic or story doesn't make a good game. Especially when it's a gimmick that disguises an otherwise cookie-cutter experience. Creating a compelling and well-integrated game that has its own unique feel requires that skilled and creative people be allowed to actually practice their craft rather than forming part of an assembly line churning out Zombie Ops 8. But then we swing back around to the problem of getting publisher funding, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:18 pm 
Dexterous Droid

A really interesting series of articles written by Richard Dare over on gamedev.net, "Game and the Imagination".

I read these years ago and just remembered them after seeing this thread again. Another cool book from the point of view of creating a plot for a game is "Hero with a thousand faces". It's pretty old now, but has a lot of good information. Even if you disagree with its theory, it's still a valuable assemblage of old tales.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:21 am 
BANNED

Nice stuff. It reminded me of my early childhood. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:03 pm 
BANNED

Ian Bogost on Serious Games

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:08 pm 
Dexterous Droid

Very interesting video. There's certainly lots of room for games to be developed that are useful and have an impact beyond entertainment.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:04 pm 
Harmlessness does no harm

IGTHORN wrote:
Very interesting video. There's certainly lots of room for games to be developed that are useful and have an impact beyond entertainment.

Rocksmith is a good example. Play a game, learn to play guitar (a REAL guitar, not a Guitar-Hero-esque toy).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:56 pm 
Bytewise

Mugai wrote:
Rocksmith is a good example. Play a game, learn to play guitar (a REAL guitar, not a Guitar-Hero-esque toy).

This actually gave me an idea. It might be fun to create a game where you can load a specially formated file which would hold lets say university level physics or maths, and the game would generate you maps, puzzles and NPCs which would gradually present you problems and formulas and thus teaching you something, but not as a quiz questions but fully visual and gameplay, an example might be that it would mention certain formulas in dialogs with NPCs so in time you would simply remember it by reading about it over and over again in a gameplay context, that would surely help you memorize it in time, then there would have to e a recall stage where you put this information to use, maybe a block pushing puzzle for Matrixes, or some kind of a physical platformer where you could calculate what force you need to jump somewhere and so on. I will give this some more thought, cause the hardest part of all is to make it interesting enough for people, lets say 17-22 keep playing it. something as immersive as Rocksmith... hmm...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:07 pm 
BANNED

To be honest, yet explicit and minimally informative, I don't like your idea. :P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:23 pm 
Bytewise

yeah, The next day I realized how retarded the idea sounds :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:29 pm 
BANNED

Quote:
yeah, The next day I realized how retarded the idea sounds :D

>:D