Chunky by FelipeFS
Chunky by FelipeFS
GPWiki.org
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Questions of a newbie
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:53 pm 
Level 1 Cleric

For the last 12 years I have been on both aspects of computer side. I have written a number of Applications in VB,VBA,C++,C#,.net Framework, SQL, Java and the list continues, but i have yet to bust into game programming (Originally its what I wanted to do but life got in the way). For the last 10 years I have been doing research on a RPG game, smoothing the details and calculations for stats,creatures, etc. (This was not all at once research but bits and pieces here and there) I finally got the stats and calculations where I want them. What language best suits an Isometric RPG ? What would engine would currently run a low end system and high end system? or do I need to worry about it yet? I am a visionary when it comes to designing but this next step has me puzzled. Thanks for replying in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:43 pm 
Dexterous Droid

What language are you most comfortable using? You've posted in the VB section - as far as I know you can use XNA with VB.NET. Really there's no best language for an isometric RPG - the game type hardly affects the language you should choose. If you want to get up and running quickly then try Unity. If you enjoy slogging away at building your own engine, or using an existing library, go with one of the well known libraries that have a large following and therefore good support bases (e.g. SDL, SFML, Allegro)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:38 pm 
BANNED

10 years... are you kidding me? You've only been planning it for that long, and now you think you can ask us questions? I think you need to think about it more before you trying anything completely irreversible.

Quote:
What language best suits an Isometric RPG ?

Latin.

Quote:
What would engine would currently run a low end system and high end system? or do I need to worry about it yet?

Brigade Engine should work well for the type of game you want to create.

Spoiler: show
Don't take this personally.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:05 pm 
Level 1 Cleric

I knew I get at least 1 smart aleck response :).

I was thinking VB, but I know C# has more dynamics as language with MFCs. Thanks for taking time to reply.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:12 am 
BANNED

Quote:
I knew I get at least 1 smart aleck response :).

It's actually better referred to as sarcasm. This is a smart alec response. ;)

Keep yourself in a chair and don't get out until you have yourself some satisfaction with something that might be useful for actually creating a game. You're not a newbie. You've been doing this for years. My question is, what is "this" which you have been doing? You don't need to setup candles and take a warm bath, and then prepare with 3 hours of prepatory meditation. Stop being so anxious and slam yourself into whatever can be considered more than what-ever-the-fuck you've been doing (I'd call it progress, in comparison). Get something done. Use Visual Basic to print out "I've made progress", or C#, or... who cares!? This is your first time. Try SOMETHING. Make a game about the fact that it exists. The rules of the game can be... no rules... just a picture which does nothing. If you finish that, then good work! Move onto something more complex. Find the nearest / easiest thing you know and start away! Then, hell, restart if you need to in a different language. That's a lot better than sitting around for years and worrying about rediculous things. You'll learn so much by making mistakes. Maybe you can build up and eventually you'll not need to ask f***ing stupid questions like this. 12 f***ing years.

f*** this place.

Also, John F Kennedy's statement is false.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:41 am 
Bytewise

and the best AngrySarcasm award goes to....*drum roll*... Pieman!

congrats Pieman :thumbs

Enjoy your prize :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:27 pm 
BANNED

I'm waiting to be banned.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:34 pm 
Bibliotherapist

Why do you want to be banned?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:08 pm 
Level 1 Cleric

Seems like he has Attention Seeking Syndrome. Anyways to the answer the question, for last 12 years I have been working on calculations and simplification. (Originally it was going to be a Table Top) It came in parts, I would get a whole version of it done, just to find out to complex for an average gamer to utilize. After many revisions, I finally got it down to what I have now. I am thinking definitely Isometric. (I am currently looking into Python and a graphics) Tomarrow, I think I will code up a base game design in VB just to make Pieman think I am listening.

PS - Sarcasm is just Anger's Little Brother. I prefer Anger's Older Sister Cynicsim.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:08 pm 
Grand Optimizer

you may want to look at the pygame library if you go for Python.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:52 pm 
BANNED

Questions of a time waster. There's no point to making these *calculations* if you can't even test their effectiveness.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:05 pm 
BANNED

I understand how little the Wiki actually helps people like this one we have here, yet everyone else seems completely blind to that fact. I've proven useless to change anyone's perception. These sort of primitive and fundamental questions should be handled by the Wiki better than any other questions. I'm angry we must deal with them in the forums, and especially the fact that this person -- although unwilling to make progress by themselves and use their brain -- the Wiki should have answered this sort of question in the first place. Topics as absurd as this are my responsibility, apparently (no one else gives a f*** about fixing the Wiki), but I'm in a state where I can achieve nothing about it. I'm very angry about your orientations to the Wiki, and I want to be banned because it's not healthy for myself or the forums to be driven under such frustration as this. Unless you can figure things out quick, I'd like to be banned to prevent further problems.

Honestly, I don't want to take the time to change people's perception... I really don't understand why you people are hosting a Game Programming wiki in the first place. 'Bastards should have used Wordpress, or passed FTP credentials around to a few people who have a significant number of web-browser bookmarks relevant to game programming.

Quote:
Article Page:
http://content.gpwiki.org/index.php/A_C ... rogramming

Guideline:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11756#p144391

Wiki resources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML_eleme ... e_elements

== Part 1 - Frames of Gameplay ==
=== A Rapid Series of Images ===
Aside how audio is often produced by video games, the fundamental premise of video games is a visual principle: ''"video games"'' are interactive animations that work by displaying a rapid series of images, called frames, which are generated by computers to represent the essence of gameplay. Video games are essentially interactive animations that are controllable by players. The effects of players' interaction and presence with a video game's material -- also known as the gameplay -- may produce significant reactions often in a way of emotion simply known as 'fun.' Animations simulate effects like movement by displaying images in a rapid series; each image with changes between one-another that are consistent enough for a viewer to naturally interpret these changes and perceive effects such as motion. A low frame-rate will only appear choppy if too much change happens to be perceived coherently by viewers. A rate of how frequent images are displayed to viewers is often measured by how many are displayed in one second of time. An ideal frame-rate is usually considered to be at least 60 frames per-second. The notion of "frames per-second" is often abbreviated as 'fps', just like how the term "miles per-hour" is abbreviated 'mph'. A poor and choppy frame-rate is usually observed below 20 fps, though the phenomenon of animation dually depends on how much change occurs between every frame in corresponse to the frames' display rate.

=== Interaction, Motion and Space ===
This is Codehead:

[[File:AMcA.Avatar_64.png]]

Our first goal is to interpret players' input to make Codehead a controllable character who may move around within our game world. Imagine how this might be done by a game programmer. Game programmers write broad-level instructions that get repeated every frame to control how the "frames of gameplay" are generated by the computer. This particular routine of computer-instructions which gets repeated to continually produce each frame of gameplay is usually referred to the "main loop." We will learn more about this idea soon, but for now, all you need to understand is the principle that you can repeat instructions in a procedural way to produce very complex and dynamic results, such as the interesting events of gameplay that are the basis of why some video games are fun to play. For learning practices, let's consider how to give Codehead the ability to move 'right' when the 'right arrow key' of a conventional keyboard is pushed.

What exactly does "move right" mean? What is the location of Codehead in the first place? Where is he within our game world?

[[File:Square_Tiles.png]]

Well, this is a spatial issue. We can represent Codehead's precise location by using a point on the cartesian plane.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0e/Cartesian-coordinate-system.svg/250px-Cartesian-coordinate-system.svg.png

You may be familiar with the [[Math:Coordinate_Systems#Cartesian|cartesian plane]]'s y-axis going upwards in tradition. (Reminder: the y-axis is the basis about where points are vertically located in space.) Contrary to this common convention, you will find that the y-axis usually goes down in the spatial basis of computer screens and 2D graphical systems.

To program a computer to represent this character's location within the game world, we may delve into the most widely used tool for programming games: we will describe this spatial representation using a [[Languages|language of programming]]. A very common feature of programming languages is the capacity for programmers to handle active information within a computer using labels of text (textual-identifiers) known as 'variables'. [[How_do_I_get_Started#Choosing_a_programming_language|The particular language you choose]] to develop a game with will have its own specific rules about how variables may be named, but typically, most languages:
* Support variables and other features in the language handled with textual-identifiers in general, to use more than one character, unlike formal mathematics (i.e. representations denoted with a single letter or symbol, like 'x', etc).
* Do not allow spaces within textual-identifiers. ''Valid examples: "''CheeseCake''" or "''cheese_cake''", invalid: ''"Cheese cake"
* Textual-identifiers cannot begin with numbers or contain symbols (e.g. ''"'!@#$%^&*'' ), although they may contain numbers if they aren't a starting character of the identifier. ''Valid example: "''abc123''", invalid: ''"123&abc"

Despite how one key convenience of programming languages is to trivialize the format (text-encodings) which programmers may code programs, these strict and often convoluted [http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/syntax syntactical] rules, such as those listed above, are an inherent consequence of this feature.

Todo: Representing points.
Todo: Reacting to the right key.
<source type="javascript">
if (IsKeyActive(rightArrowKey))
{
codeheadX += codeheadSpeed;
}</source>
Todo: Reacting to all input.

=== ''The Main Loop'' and Time ===
The notion of the main loop is regarded as the broadest section of a game's program which, in generalization, is a category that envelops any instructions that are repeated frame-by-frame to procedurally produce the activity of gameplay.
Todo: How to construct a main loop and regulate its frame rate etc.

'''Advanced Information and Related Pages'''
* [[C:Beating_the_Message_Pump|Beating the Message Pump, WinAPI / Performance]]
* [http://gafferongames.com/game-physics/fix-your-timestep/ Fix Your Timestep!]

=== The Viewport and Graphical Composition ===

=== Instances and Transformation ===

=== Animation Techniques ===

=== The Crux of Input ===

=== Game State; a Summary and in-depth Topic Overview ===
(though they were not covered above, include networking and management; beyond scope)

'''Overview'''
* State Management
** Top-down State Control (Active-State Manager) ''e.g. Switching from the main menu to a specific mode of the game, loading new resources, initializing various components etc.''
*** Containment (Maps/levels/assets etc.)
**** [[C:Custom_Resource_Files]]
*** Storage (Saved Games)

== Game Material ==

Good luck. Feel free to reword, clarify and reorganize its progression in ways of eloquence and didactic-mode. I was going to embed an HTML5/Javascript framework thing for readers to test the new concepts introduced on-the-fly (which, to my understanding, is possible with the Wiki software you have), which is why Javascript is the lanuage of choice for this tutorial.

Edit:
Quote:
Attention Seeking Syndrome.

A. S. S. ?

Hah. No way. :P

But seriously, I am just pissed off. Consider this a "rage-quit" phenomenon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:16 pm 
Bibliotherapist

Answering the same beginner questions over and over can be annoying, but those questions will always be asked. GPWiki is a friendly community and we try to help out rather than scare off new programmers, we were all newbies once.

There have been numerous attempts to build Wiki pages that fend off these regular questions, but still the questions come. If you want to create a template page that you can link as a quick reply, feel free.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:26 am 
Digerati

how about a fabricated sticky post?

wzl's burrow

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:48 pm 
Level 1 Cleric

So I decided to start small and in something I could work with at work without being noticable, VBA (Laugh at it if you will). I went Text based instead of Graphics based. After more research I do some importing over to vb and start working with the graphics part of it. Like I said it is written in VBA on the back end of an XLS spread sheet. I will see if I can find a place to post it and get a generalized feed back from it. Remember it is a baby program, I have ideas (in tons) on how to expanded it and make it look like a real game.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:30 am 
Rookie

interesting :eek

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:33 am 
Rookie

Lesson learnt. Pieman thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:01 pm 
Level 1 Cleric

So it has been awhile. I have created about 8 small games. each done to point of being playable in C#. Now I am working on creating sprites and animating them properly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:19 am 
Bytewise

Good to see you're still at it :) any chance you would share your "small games" with us? ^^

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:25 pm 
Level 1 Cleric

Sure, let me finish up on the current one I am messing with and I post them. They are just text based but they still have the working mechanics that I am going after.